[Chrysler300] 300K Issues

Several issues have popped up on our ’64 300K toward the end of its restoration and I’m asking for your input.

Background:

I currently have a later (’68?) 383-2bbl engine in the car as I await overhaul and detailing of the 413 engine from our parts car.   I purchased a proper 413 a/c radiator and had it recored and installed.

The car came with its remote booster disconnected and a standard firewall mounted power brake booster and master cylinder.  We purchased a new non-boosted MC, removed the check valve from its nose and changed out the reinforcing/mounting plate on the firewall to accommodate it.  The remote boosted cylinder was rebuilt, installed and plumbed in.  Hoses, tubing, wheel cylinders and shoes were replaced.

The factory air conditioning system was converted to R-134, the condenser was replaced, new hoses were fabricated and installed, a new dryer of identical size to the original was installed and the system seems to be working.

Issues:

1.       There is less than 1/8” clearance between the radiator and fan clutch.  Not enough room to remove the fan and/or belts.  Are there some optional water pumps, pulleys, fans or fan clutches that will create more space?  What is the normal spacing between fan clutch and radiator?  Is it possible/likely the 383 is fundamentally different from the 413 in this area?

2.      The rebuilt original compressor specifies 3 ¾ lbs of refrigerant for the system.  It took about 4.5 lbs to get the system working and clear the bubbles in the sight glass.  Is this normal for R134 or does it signify a new problem?

3.      When bled, the brake system generates a nice, firm pedal.  Later the pedal is lost and goes to the floor.  We find no leaks and have bled and rebled the system multiple times in line with the instructions in the K supplement manual.  I haven’t talked to the rebuilder of the remote booster yet, but would like to hear from someone that has worked on the remote booster system and resolved any soft pedal issues.

4.      The tranny was rebuilt, but we note leaks from the speedo and shift cables.  I’ve read about the shrink tubing fix.  Is this applicable to one or both of these cables?  Is there big enough shrink tubing to go over both end connections?  Any special guidance on how far up the cable the shrink tubing should go or any special pre-cleaning or other installation suggestions?

All assistance gratefully acknowledged.

C-300-K’ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, Kalifornya