[Chrysler300] Starter Restoration

Hello All –

I just had an excellent experience with rebuilding the starter on my late father’s 1957 Chrysler 300C, and wanted to share that with the community.  In the midst of the pretty comprehensive restoration, we found that the engaging gear on the starter was pretty chewed up at the front end (worn down, rounded, and several major chips missing), and the teeth on the torque converter had been damaged by the bad gear on the starter.  Although the starter actually seemed to be working pretty much OK, with the usual Mopar whine and occasional grinding on engagement, I wanted it to be totally  right.  After exploring several references through Google, I found a place in Wichita, Kansas, named “Ace Starter and Generator Exchange”, where I spoke with a delightfully crusty (but very personable), highly experienced master rebuilder named Glenn Cheaney, who works independently AT the shop, but not FOR the shop – he works for himself at the shop facility.  He said that indeed, he had NOS engagement gears available, as well as many other parts for restoring antique starters, generators, solenoids, voltage regulators and associated equipment.  Most important, he had been doing this for over 45 years, had retired, gotten bored, and came back to do what he really enjoyed, even though he said he didn’t really need the money.

I sent the starter off and received a call from him several days after arrival, with the not unexpected news that in addition to the bad gear, the bearings/bushings were worn out (leading to armature wobble and the occasional misalignment that led to the gear wear in the first place), the graphite brushes were worn down to the nubs, and the starter had gotten hot enough at some time to melt several of the soldered connections on some of the windings of the armature.  He also noted that he could add an additional field coil inside the case which would increase the torque of the starter by ~ 33%.  Of course, he recommended a complete rebuild, estimated to cost $300 - $325.  I was pretty certain that I could get a complete new starter  for around the same price, but it would likely not be the exact original configuration, nor would it have the original Autolite tag on it, etc.  The shop website http://acewichita.com/     had numerous before and after pictures of old starters and generators, and I was convinced I would get a great RESTORATION, not just a rebuild,  so I authorized the work.

A week later, he sent me several before-and-after pictures of major components of the disassembled starter, including the case, armature, field coils, Bendix actuating linkage, etc., showing how worn, rusty, discolored ugly they were originally, then how great they looked after all the repairs.  Another few days later, he e-mailed me with the news that the starter was finished, and sent a couple pictures along with the final bill -- $295 for the work, plus $35 for return shipping (it’s a heavy lump!).  He remarked at his surprised reminder of how powerful these old starters could be with the simple addition of that extra field coil, and sounded really pleased with his work – a really good sign!   I sent a check, and a few days later FedEx delivered the “lump”.   The carefully packed, double-boxed generator was beautifully refinished externally, with new zinc-plated end piece, bright new solenoid cap with terminals and exterior actuation linkage, new engagement gear and nose bushing, new rubber boot protecting the solenoid pushrod, HD black paint on the housing, and my original scratched green Autolite tag nicely touched up like brand new and riveted back onto the body.  Unseen inside, he had replaced the worn bushing in the back end, turned the armature (worn unevenly by wobbling in the worn-out bushings), re-soldered the melted-out armature winding connections, applied a baked-on insulation between the armature grooves, installed an additional field coil for more power, and replaced the worn carbon brushes with lifetime low-drag copper brushes.

I called him back to tell him that I was delighted with his work, and expressed regret that this beautiful “better-than-new” starter had to be hidden under the car – if it were visible, I’m sure onlookers would be really impressed!

As you can tell, I highly recommend his work!  Glenn Cheaney can be reached at the Ace website  http://acewichita.com/     e-mail  gcheaney@xxxxxxx   and phone  (239)821-6548

Ray Melton

Las Cruces, NM

1957 Chrysler 300C convertible  White/Gauguin

S/N 3N572517