From: Ray Melton [mailto:rfmelton@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 7:56 PM
To: Larry Jabin; 'Ron Waters'
Cc: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: [Chrysler300] 300 c carburetor modifications

Larry (and other interested members), that original message from John Chesnutt is copied below.

I have just today ordered a set of the #1 lean metering rods, Carter #75-1180, from John Hardgrove at The Carburetor Shop because I live at 4500 ft. elevation and have good access to no-ethanol gasoline.  In our conversations,  John made an interesting point about the widespread use of ~10% ethanol in our gasoline, which actually REDUCES the energy content of every gallon of gas and therefore requires somewhat RICHER jetting than originally specified back in the no-ethanol days of 1957.  Therefore, he reasoned, the "too-rich" metering rods originally supplied in the 1957 carbs would actually be about right if you are committed to using the ~10% ethanol-enhanced gasoline the Gov't EPA so wisely mandates must be "available" nationwide.  Notice that the omniscient Gov't apparently doesn't quite make that blend mandatory, just available, and there are now thousands of gas stations around the country that dispense "no-ethanol" gas, often at a price discount to the commonplace ethanol blend.  You can find those gas stations in your area just by Googling on "no ethanol gasoline".  The ethanol-laced gasoline, in addition to its mileage-reducing ( lower BTU/gal) and corrosive (hygroscopic = water-absorbing) characteristics, also very quickly forms a VERY solvent-resistant varnish in small jets, and often degrades soft-goods throughout the carburetor, making them either swell up and get softer, or get harder and less flexible where necessary, such as in the accelerator pumps.  These issues are particularly important for some of our collector vehicles that often sit for weeks/months at a time between drives and are particularly susceptible to these compatibility and varnish accumulation problems.

Therefore, since I can get "no-ethanol" gas and avoid the energy content and corrosion/compatibility degradation issues (as well as addressing my high-altitude location),  I am willing to commit to the considerable (= painful!) extra expense of having these new (leaner) metering rods and secondary jets custom-fabricated.  Also notice that I will still have to perform all the rest of the modifications outlined in Chrysler Service Bulletin #1034-CH to make all the parts work together and address the cornering/drivability issues of the original WCFB's #2534S & 2535S on the 300C's.

If any other members out there have had these modifications done, I know a lot of us would really appreciate your input on experiences and parts/service providers.

Regards,

Ray Melton