Re: [Chrysler300] 300F Brake Issue

Been dealing with similar symptoms myself, Mark.  A couple of other
things to check for as well:
- Make sure the 5 brake backer plate bolts are tight and the threads are
not stripped.
- Make sure your axle castle nut is tightened just right.
- As Dave says, put new return springs on.  Your old ones are probably
stretched out by 1/8" and uneven. They may be hard to get, but let me
know if you need 'em.
- A buddy of yours may have an electric belt sander to speed up the shoe
arcing, but proceed gently.  Otherwise a decent brake shop should have
the equipment to arc those shoes exactly to your drums.

Keith Boonstra

-
On 8/22/2012 6:49 PM, David Schwandt wrote:

> Mark,
> You need to arc the shoes to the drum.
> The toe of the shoe will "catch/snag the drum and have a tendancy to
> "wrap up" inside and lock.
> Been there, done that with the fronts on my F years ago, after plowing
> a furrow through a judging tent at a show in Des Moines, IA.
> Very embarrassing to say the least.
> It took several cycles of removing the shoes and sanding with 80 grit
> paper on a body file to remedy the situation.
> I would pat down the shoes w/talcum powder, reinstall and adjust then
> rotate a few times by hand.
> While cranking the adjusters the proper direction. This will indicate
> on the shoes any high spots that need attention
> You probably already know this but the fronts adjust different than
> the rears.
> Check your service manual for the proper adjustment procedure.
> Question, Did you install ne return springs when doing the rebuild?
>
> Good Luck!!
> Dave Schwandt

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional