[Chrysler300] Chrysler C300 trunk lid sound deadener

[Chrysler300] Chrysler C300 trunk lid sound deadener

I don't think it is possible to spread the outside trunk shell from the
inner reinforcing piece without cutting out the inner panel, then rewelding
it in place-not worth the effort.  Based on ideas from Mike Galassi,  I cut
the old pieces of sound deadener out as close to the inner panel as possible
and cut the new pieces to fit up against the old remnants and form a
rectangle around the outside edge identical in size to the original piece of
sound deadener which was rather casually placed before the inner and outer
pieces of sheet metal were fastened together.  The original assembly was
made before either steel piece was painted so there is bare metal under the
removed pieces.  There was light surface rust on the bare underside of the
trunk shell under the sound deadener so I sanded it off and primed the bare
areas before sticking the new pieces on.  The original black piece of sound
deadener on our C300 was apparently sprayed with Platinum (white) paint on
the paint line and this sometimes resulted in a rather rosy, tan appearance
of the black sound deadener.  Go figure.  Don't expect today's paint to
react the same way.  Spray the sound deadener with body color or leave it
black.  You might want to prime and seal it somehow first.   Painted body
color is probably the closest to factory original.

C-300'ly,

Rich Barber