RE: [Chrysler300] Using Dextron 5 in an Aluminum Torqueflight

I'm inclined to agree with Bill. Aside from finding a shop that actually listens to you, you need to find a transmission rebuilder that understands transmissions....all of them (new and old). There are alot of so called 'technicians' these days that have been taught how to disassemble and then reassemble mechanical devices like transmissions, over and over and over. Problem is, very few actually understand what it is they're working on and how it functions. I'm often shocked at the level of understanding some of the younger mechanics actually have.....never mind service managers. I'm not an expert on fluids but your transmission guy should be, sounds like he's crossing his fingers as you drive away.

Ryan Hill

To: mplindahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: czbill@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 18:10:25 -0400
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Using Dextron 5 in an Aluminum Torqueflight

My opinion is the need to find a new transmission
guy. Not only did he not do what you wanted, but
he has had to go into the transmission a number
of times. Worth the shipping to move it to a
competent builder who is familiar with not only
the older Torqueflites, but with the 300
specs. I am sure that Chrysler does not
recommend Dextron at all. I am not convinced
that even the latest Chrysler ATF-4 has the
proper friction co-efficient for our older
transmissions, no matter what Chrysler says.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/atfspec.pdf

Bill Huff

At 5/14/201201:15 PM, Mark Lindahl wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I had my '63 torqueflight rebuilt last year, but it needed to be
>readjusted/rebuilt again since the car moved forward (slight creep) when the
>engine was revved in neutral.
>
>I think they did not pay attention to the gap need in the clutches. When I
>brought the 300 back to them, I asked them to use 'Type F' trans fluid.
>
>Now, it is done and I asked the guy, 'Did you use Type F Trans fluid?'
>
>His response was, 'No, but we used Dextron 5 synthetic fluid and it really
>is a better trans fluid and it should work fine.'
>
>He told me to drive the car and bring it back if I find any issues.
>
>Should I expect to have any short-term or long-term problems?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark Lindahl
>
>'63 300 Conv.

<*> Your email settings: