[Chrysler300] Electronic ignition pros and cons

[Chrysler300] Electronic ignition pros and cons

When the Mopar E I boxes are working right, they really do make it easier for the engine to start.  The boxes from twenty years ago seem to be very reliable, but lots of Mopar folks are wary of any that are of recent manufacture. I replaced a Lean Burn system on a 79 300 with a Mopar E I distributor and orange box in 1982, and it ran fine until 2007, then the car quit dead. I replaced the orange box with another Mopar orange unit, which would not let the engine turn above 4000 rpm. (an unintended engine governor!) I replaced that unit with another Mopar orange unit, which put me on the tow-truck hook after 4 weeks. I replaced this unit with a NAPA premium chrome box, which ran fine for two years, then quit dead in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately, I had a cheap spare made by Wells Ignition in the trunk, wired with alligator clips in case a quick replacement was needed...like at a stoplight in rush hour traffic! It's still on the car, lets it rev happily to 5500 and start easily...but there's a spare in the trunk, wired and ready to go. My Mopar drag strip buddies tell me that some of the boxes now being sold by Mopar will not let the engine rev above 4500 rpm under load, although some seem to do fine.
     (Keep in mind that if you convert to EI, your 300 won't start after a nuclear attack, due to EMP pulses taking out the electronics. Probably not a big disadvantage!)  Dennis Cloer

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)