Re: [Chrysler300] Brake Light Switch

All:
>From my experience, the hydraulic brake switch brand has more to do with
failure than the type of fluid used.  When my 300F convert was
completed---well, they are never completed, I guess!---I filled the system with  the dot
5 silicone fluid.  Didn't want to take a chance with the new  paint.  I
think the first switch got us to the Asheville meet and back  before "packing it
in".  The second one didn't do much better, as I  recall.  Both these
switches have an identifying logo of an "S" within what  could be a chebby bowtie
with the "knot" part rounded instead of squared.   I have no idea of the
manufacturer, but am sure one or more of you will  recognize it.
Anyway---I put in a third switch that, if memory serves, I obtained  from
Andy Bernbaum.  Actually bought two.  These switches are from a  different
manufacturer, Fasco Industries, Inc, Rochester, NY, USA.  (I  guess the F in
Fasco could be an "E")  These switches have only the male  terminal extending
above the surface, whereas with the others ("S" brand),  the two terminals
are the same length.
Ok, now to the most important part.  After installing the Fasco  switch, I
proceeded to take apart the failed "S" switch.  There was  absolutely NO
brake fluid residue in the contact area.  There is a rubber  seal which seems
to have done its job.  The actual contacts are two spot  points and a ring.
Reminded me somewhat of a starter solenoid  arrangement.  The problem seemed
to be significant non-conductive buildup  on the contact surfaces.  Again,
I could see NO sign of any  fluid.
So...that is my experience.  The "Bernbaum" switch has been in my car  for
quite a number of years now, and has made trips to meets in Cleveland,
Chicago, Springfield, IL, and Lancaster, PA, at least.  So far, works  fine.
Perhaps my experience will contribute a little more info  to our hydraulic
brake switch discussions.

Oh, yes, we 300F owners do have a little advantage in checking the brake
lights.  The right rear is very visible from the driver's seat!
300ly, Gil Cunningham
Finally some rain in Tallahassee, FL

In a message dated 6/28/2011 9:10:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,