From: christopher beilby <thelastbestgenius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brandt300g@xxxxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, January 1, 2011 2:49:15 PM
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Torqueflight woes and vinyl roof protection?

1) As no one else yet replied, I reply, but I sure others in US must know way
more than me re old Torqueflights!!!??

Brandt and other 300 owners re Torqueflight woes/failures - years ago I had one
of my cast iron torqueflights rebuilt. As soon as I collected it, it seemed to
need more revs that I thought to get car to move off, and after a few miles it
failed. From memory I think it was the large retaining ring in the front clutch
had not been 'snapped home'fully, and therefore all the clutch plates etc were
not held (home/closed) fully. Trans worked with revs, but too much oil/pressure
obviously escaping, such trans/clutch failed in short time. At same time I had
same problem with '58 Cad convert trans the same guy rebuilt at same time!!! -
the unsecured front cover of clutch rode forward and destroyed/ruined I think
front cover/oil pump housing.

I know for sure that was what wrecked my Cad trans, and I fairly sure it was
also something with front clutch of 300C trans, but I cannot remember how we
fixed Totquelight - the Cad required wrecking another trans to get the cast
housing parts that sit/bolt at front of inside of trans, where the original
parts were ruined/gouged.  If your trans has failed twice after low miles, at
least this bit of your story rings same as my woes??  Good luck, sounds like
maybe get George Rhiel rebuild it/one, ?

2) Anyone had any experience re a US made small spray bottle of "Aerospace
Protectant", made by "303 Products Inc".
I recently was lucky/stupid enough to buy a real nice/dry mint '78 Town Landau
Tbird which standard had two part vinyl roof (split by stainless/alloy band like
'57/58 Cad Broughams used), and the red vinyl and red dashtop etc are like new
and I do not wish to see our aussie sun destroy it, but aware many warn of the
woes/damage by using """"Armoural"""  to protect stuff like this, I was
suggested that this stuff is the real deal.  The bottle says it was developed re
aerospace and aviation protection against UV rays - is the stuff any good, or it
it a con like gas mileage savers, etc..

I have 4 cars now that have vinyl roofs (yes all are NOT 300s, but hey there
were one or two nice US perf/luxo cars after 300s went off their original course
later on??!) , 3 which roofs are now new ( I found a real good cheap US
supplier, who can supply most factory orig grainings, if anyone needs a
supplier), and so if this stuff is what those in US know/trust, I will use it
and stick with it for all vinyl roofs/dashtops, 300s interior plastic, etc,
where sun will destroy.
Doing up an old car to keep is bad enough, but to lose it all over time to sun
again, is not real clever if a simple spray once a year of so will protect?!

(IF UNFAMILAR WITH '303 brand stuff, anyone know what is good/best re other
major supplier such as Meguires/other, that I may buy over here - we only get
biggest suppliers usually, the 303 brand an odd exception re it being
unknown/small brand.)

HAPPY NEW YEAR from Australia, where we already into our 2nd day of the new
year. Here it has been a mixed, often pretty hard year, our economy saved by
China buying lots of minerals, which is lucky, as daily our Govts seem to get
more disconnected and wasteful re our future and spending money wisely.
Many living in north east corner of nation suffering huge floods, others in
south struggling to get rain crops off that were not ruined by unseasonal rains.
Our national woes way less than the hard times faced by many isn US and other -
may 2011 be a better year for many - it next few weeks our biggest annual car
events start a four month run, and of course in US, soon our your biggest volume
collector Car Auctions. I plan to use my 300s more this year, maybe finally
'just make time' to get an 'aussie 300 grouping/chapted' up here.

Christopher Australia
ps on ebay, aussie dollar with paypal was 99.64c to 100c US last night - first
time since 1983 in about to be over US dollar - thanks only to raw materials
exports, our manufacturing industries now near all gone overseas - last year a
real nice red 300F came in, but not much news I know re other 300s heading here
due to strength of our dollar/etc.