RE: [Chrysler300] Oil

I believe the thought is that the zinc compound plates out on the engine's
wear and other internal surfaces rather than precipitating out.  In either
case, the residual zinc content of the circulating oil is known to decline
with operating hours.  Seems like the engine oil needs a shot from time to
time to maintain the desired level of protection.  The alternative is to put
way more zinc into the oil when it is first blended and packaged and change
it out when the level drops below a target level.

I also recall reading that the primary reason for the EPA to ban zinc
compounds in motor oil is that some of the zinc always basses from the
cylinder walls to the exhaust system and slowly poisons the catalytic
converter.  This is similar to one of the reasons for removing lead from
gasoline.  There being no catalytic converters until 1974 (?), catalyst
poisoning is no reason not to use it in our older 300's.

Like all chemicals, zinc is also toxic at some level.  See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_toxicity

Unlike lead, we do need zinc in our bodies for good health.  Lead tends to
settle in our right foot and elsewhere south of the border.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

1955 C-300-Dual exhaust thru non-catalytic Flowmasters.  Puddle jumpers and
rice burners trailing closely can run on the fumes.