RE: [Chrysler300] Pentastar (And the best Rubber Lubricant that I have f

RE: [Chrysler300] Pentastar (And the best Rubber Lubricant that I have found)

Christopher:

The best rubber lubricant that I have found over the years (believe it or
not) is plain old rubbing alcohol.  I was taught this from an older gent
probably 40 years ago.  He showed me how to put on the old rubber hand grips
on my motorcycle handle bars.  First, you roll up a copy of your motorcycle
registration and slip it into the handlebar in case there is ever any doubt
as to whether it belongs to you if it gets separated from you in the future
(ie. "STOLEN").

Then you completely saturate the outside of the handlebar area as well as
fill up the rubber handgrip with alcohol and simply push and twist it
vigorously onto the handlebar.  If it doesn't make it the first time, just
squirt some more alcohol into the joint and go at it again until it is in
the proper place.  The best feature of this process is that when you are
finished, the alcohol just evaporates with absolutely no mess left behind.
The rubber grips will actually seem to bond to the bar.  This will work with
any rubber part application into or within anything else that is not
affected by the alcohol.  If you were to use a lubricant gel or oil based
liquid, there will be the oily mess left behind.  On your sway bar rubbers,
using alcohol, they will stick tight to the bar.  Or - on the other hand, if
you want them to rotate on the bar after putting them in the proper place
and orientation, you can then lubricate them periodically to keep them from
squeaking.

I believe that this trick should also work with the poly bushings used on
some sway bars.  I have heard however that the poly bushings tend to squeak
- forever - which can become objectionable.

Another tip with rubber parts - to drill a hole or machine a rubber part,
freeze the rubber in a mixture of dry ice and alcohol until the rubber is a
solid.  Then you can quickly drill a hole in the rubber before it thaws out.

Next time, give the alcohol a try as a lubricant and I think you will be
pleasantly surprised.

Big John Mc Adams

(In sunny and getting hotter SoCal)