RE: [Chrysler300] Leaking manifolds & other things

RE: [Chrysler300] Leaking manifolds & other things

The 413 exhaust manifold is held onto the head by studs with 6 nuts, and likely what has happened, the face of the manifold is badly warped. Get a large long flat metal file, even a coarse teeth file used by panelworkers to finish repaired steel panels. In Australia flat faced long files are called 'flat bastards' - get one and run/push it length wise across the gasket/seal face, and my bet is tyou will see the file only touching the manifold at the area of the six securing bolts. In between there will be an obvious warp/gap. File the manifold diagonally lenthwise, on changing different lengthwise angles/strokes until you have cut the high spots off - you will have to press down onto it to get it to cut best.

Otherwise you should take it to a nachine shop and they will pass it over a milling bed until surfaces are once again factory flat/true. Here they charge about $30-40 a surface.  Any old cast iron gasket surface likely can be by now warped - try this on a '70s 350 Chevy cylinder block head surface - you will be surprised at how much out they usually are by now.

Only try this only on motor blocks/heads, when you have become a bit skilled, o/wise you may chew metal off wrong places, or unevenly.

Christopher Australia

ps 1) Chinese steel here comes in two qualities, one way poorer than the other.

2) Dexron III near certainly IS NOT A GOOD OIL for 300 cast iron torqueflights, as I see today the label on a current Valvoline (Dexron III) ATF WARNS NOT TO USE IT WHERE F TYPE REQUIRED, as in early Fords (plus of course their equivalent - 50s/60s Chryslers)

CC: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx