[Chrysler300] Don't Go Nuts Over Your Fender Mirrors, GO NUTSERTS!!

[Chrysler300] Don't Go Nuts Over Your Fender Mirrors, GO NUTSERTS!!

Hello 300'ly to all!
    I've never felt very confident over the sheet metal screws holding my fender mounted rear view mirrors on my C.  Especially after replacing the originals with a pair of Jay Fisher triple plated twin strut repros. (9 months wait and $$$).  Visions of them saying adios at 70 mph and bouncing off the windshield, roof, and trunk as they fly off down the road behind me always was a dreaded scenario.  Jeff Carter suggested I secure them with NUTSERTS.  So I did. Now I'd be tempted to lift the car up by the mirrors (like LBJ with his beagle dogs or those super glue advertisements).  Only took about 45 minutes (first time I did it) with chrome plated hex head 1" screws and appropriate NutSerts from Fastenal. For those interested the NutSerts are 10-24 Ribbed Small, Fastenal #812357295 and the screws are 10-24 X 1 Ch FHCS Fastenal #812365489.  I removed the mirrors one at a time along with the gaskets.  Then I cleaned the surface under the gasket and placed a piece of adhesive tape over the existing 1/8" hole to reinforce the paint when drilling it out to 5/16".  I then inserted the NutSert using a NutSert setting tool I borrowed from a my friend who owns a body shop and crimped the NutSert in place.  Then the gasket and mirror were screwed back into place with the chrome plated screws nice and tight.  I even managed to do this without having to adjust the mirrors from the way they were set prior to their removal.  The chrome hex head screws seat nice and flush with the mirror and look swell! Stainless Phillips head or flat head srews can also be used with the NutSerts as long as they are 10-24 and at least 1" in length. This might sound elementary to some of you and if so have a chuckle at my expense.  I no longer worry about my mirrors departing me.  What was that saying....Mirrors Mirrors on the fenders......?   ROB KERN

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)