RE: [Chrysler300] battery lead question?

Christopher and all, The main advantage of many very fine strands of copper is more flexibility. Sometimes this type cable is called extra flexible. It does cost more. Current carrying ability is essentially the same if the total diameter of the copper area is the same. Don't get fooled by extra thick insulation. 6 volt systems had twice the cable thickness and thus twice the current carrying ability of the cable used in a 12 volt system. Thicker copper is better for less voltage drop and thus better starting expecially important in 6 volt systems. 1 volt drop on a 6 volt system is 16 % of total. 1 volt drop on a 12 volt system is only 8% of total. Regards, Bob Blohm
-----Original Message-----
From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Paul Holmgren
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 6:45 AM
To: christopher beilby
Cc: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] battery lead question?

christopher beilby wrote:
> I think this was discussed a while ago, but I not sure of answer now - which type of battery lead is better - one with lots of fine wires, or one of same diameter, with less, but bigger/thicker wires??!

> Lead or cable I have has about 30 fairly thick copper wires, is about two-three times diam of most usual size used.

> I know there are some real 'electrical expert' 300 members out there, so any help appreciated - the lead will need to be about 30 inches long, and is to crank about 450 cubes and around 500hp. It also a mongel to fit, so I would rather do it right first time.

> Christopher Australia, 25 inches rain in 24 hours/flooding, on northern mid Australian east Coast yesterday, while maybe a longest high temp Nov record ever, to be set here in mid south part of Australia by end of this coming week, grain harvest now well underway here, tipped to be 2nd biggest ever.

LOTS of Fine is usually just fine, Industrial stranded wire cables can be
EITHER, there it's a matter of $$$

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy

This email message and any attachments transmitted with it may contain confidential information and are intended only for the individual(s) to whom the message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete it from your system; you should not distribute or copy this email message or its contents.  Any views or opinions presented in this email message are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of EnerSys or its affiliates (?EnerSys?).  No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of EnerSys with another party by email.  EnerSys accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed by EnerSys in a signed writing.  The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of any virus.  EnerSys accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email message or any attachments.

EnerSys  2366 Bernville Road,  Reading, PA 19605  www.enersys.com<file:///C:/Program%20Files/Exclaimer/www.enersys.com>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: