  From: Keith Boonstra
  To: mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx
  Cc: jwkco@xxxxxxxxx ; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; r41hp@xxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:51 AM
  Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 8403110398

  For some strange reason I recall clearly the Chrysler TV ads of 1959
  touting the advantage of the new "alternator" which would replace the
  generator for 1960 in their product. The ads pointed out that it could
  even charge your battery at idling engine speeds, and I remember being
  impressed by that advancement. They also pointed out that this was a
  Chrysler Corp. exclusive. My recollection says it was across the entire
  product line of the Chrysler Corp. - including Dodge and DeSoto - but I
  could be wrong on that particular detail.

  In 1964 my wife and I were married, and we decided we had to get
  sensible and let our 300C dating (and hell-raising) car go in favor of
  something more economical. I still remember how it broke my heart to
  watch the new owner pull out of our driveway with it - same feeling as
  when the time comes you have to put the dog down.

  What we replaced it with was a 1960 Valiant, and it wasn't all that bad
  for a gas miser. That little slant six and three-on-the floor took a
  lickin' and kept on tickin' - you could really drive the snot out of
  those, and they held up. I remember well, too, that I thought it was
  cool it had one of those new-fangled alternators.

  Fortunately the rest of the story includes finding our old C 350 miles
  from home 19 years later, and we bought it for the second time in 1983.
  This time it stays home where it belongs.

  So, yep, seems that alternator ought to be correct on the F.

  Keith Boonstra
  Holland, Michigan

  mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx wrote:
  > In numerous places I've read that all '60 Chrysler Corp. Valiants (not labeled as Plymouth 'til '61) and some Chrysler 300F's were equipped with alternators instead of generators. The entire product line was treated to the upgrade for '61.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)