RE: [Chrysler300] Technical Engine Question - Re: Heads (further informa

RE: [Chrysler300] Technical Engine Question - Re: Heads (further information)

I've answered some responses privately to keep the traffic on here to a minimum but answering some of Bills questions might be helpful to anyone considering a response.

- Compression is good and even on all cylinders.

- Vacuum at idle is about 13 - 15 (unless my gauge is reading incorrectly)

- I will run the car today and respond to the question of vacuum when revved.

- Varified with a degree wheel that cam timing is perfect.

- Varified timing mark on ballancer was out 2 degrees and is not slipping.

- Vacuum and centrifugal advances both seem to be operational - ignition timing has been set with a light and by ear multiple times. (probably adjusted at least 20 degrees)

- Pertronix ignition, flamethrower coil, new plugs, HP plug leads, all added.

- Three different AFB's (including a brand new Edelbrock) all performing the same.

- Fuel delivery had been suspected, checked length of push rod and replaced pump (twice)

- Replaced valley pan gasket.

- Checked lifters and push rods. Rocker clearances are good (lifters pumped)

- Squirted WD-40 and starter fluid around mating surfaces to head and carb, no change.

Signs of running rich are black smoke at idle and when revved. There is also blue smoke (oil burning). My experience with these symptoms is when the valley pan leaks into the lifter valley, oil is sucked into the intake runner causing not only a poor vacuum situation but also introducing oil to the air/fuel mix. I had this problem with another highly modified Big Block where the heads had been shaved too much and the surfaces not realigned.

This engine had very little removed when truing the heads and I have checked for the tell-tale signs of this type of leak when replacing the valley pan gasket. The car doesn't run well enough to drive it further than up the block and back so no real road test is possible. (Besides, it isn't even registered yet) Currently its the largest model car in my collection and won't fit in my display case......the steering works and everything!

Ryan Hill