Re: [Chrysler300] Flooding of Carter 3256SA Carb - '63 300 Conv.

Mark Lindahl wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have tried a few things to reduce/eliminate the boiling of gas in the carb bowls after hot weather driving and shut down of 383.
> Within a few minutes, the carb gets so hot that the fuel is boiling and flooding occurs.  I have seen it a few times.
> The engine does not run hot during normal driving.  Temp/Gas Guage seem to be calibrated with temp guage around the 1/2-3/4 mark.
> At idle and normal driving speeds, the engine runs strong.  Newer open chamber heads were installed about 18 months ago along with hardened seats for unleaded gas.  I reinstalled the original valley pan and now have a 4 bbl. carb instead of the original 2 bbl.

> Here is what I have tried.
> Installed gasket between hood and radiator support:  It looks good, but does not help my problem.
> Installed new needle/seat in carb:  Flooding still occurs, but somewhat less.
> Waiting for stainless steel plate to install under carb to reduce heat transfer:  will advise.
> I have removed the spring from the exhaust manifold allowing for free movement of the valve: no change.
> I took off the heavy metal air cleaner top and now have the air filter exposed using just a flat top: no change.

> I also vaguely remember that some valley pans have the the heat passages blocked off to not allow heat back up to the carb.
> Since I don't drive the 300 in the winter or much when it is cold, is this a good idea?

> Are there certain valley pans with the heat passages cut out and some with them blocked off?
> Any ideas would be helpful.

> Regards,
> Mark Lindahl
> '63 300 Conv.

There used to be a fiber composition carb base spacer/block, that isolates the
carb from the intake mannyfold. THis Does block some heat transfer, another OLD
  racer trick was a flat sheet of aluminum used to form a heat shield it was
bolted under the carb and where ever there was space it was larger then the
baseplate of the carb so that it over hung the intake mannyfold.

--
Paul Holmgren
Hers:  http://in09.endcancer.org/goto/Cindy.Holmgren

<*> Your email settings: