Re: [Chrysler300] Radial Tires on Original Bias Ply Wheels

Re: [Chrysler300] Radial Tires on Original Bias Ply Wheels

Tony,

Thanks, that was interesting, I recall when it
was last posted.  Unfortunately, it is really
anecdotal,even the part by the accident
investigator.  It seems to me that in order to
make a judgement on the degree of danger in using
rims designed when bias tires were the norm
mounted with radial tires, more information is needed.

IMHO we need either engineering studies showing
the relative strengths and resistance to flex of
the two types of rims, and/or a large sampling of
numbers of bias rims using radial tires vs numbers of rim failures.

The accident investigator probably has not
investigated many of the types of accidents where
old rims fail due to radial tires simply because
their probably have not been many such accidents
to investigate.  Certainly most folks didn't keep
their old cars long enough to be using radials on
the older rims, bias ply tires were available for
many years after radials became the OEM
tire.  Non-enthusiasts probably change cars every
5-10 years, don't have those stats and too lazy
to look them up.  Point is, if radials were on
new cars in 1972-1973 for instance, by 1980, the
large majority of people were probably driving cars that came with radials.

Apparently radials became commonly available in
the US in 1966 or so from after market
sources.  If they were causing rim failures, they
probably would have soon withered away.  Accident
investigation was not what it is today, so we
probably will never know for certain how many
failures may have occurred in the early years of radials.

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/1832.html

http://www.classiccar.com/articles/content/index.php?/archives/21-A-Tale-of-Two-Tires.html

So, I think we have poor or no reliable
statistics on this issue in the 60's and into the
late 70's.  By the early 80's I believe few
people, other than those who could not afford
newer cars, or old car nuts were driving those
pre-radial cars.  The poorer folks probably did
not equip their cars with more the newer, more
expensive radials when tire replacement was at
hand.  I think it is safe to assume that the pool
of vehicles using bias ply rims with radial tires
has been small since the 80s and has gotten quite
small into the 90's and on.  Although we have no
real figures to go on, I think that the old car
community is a close knit gene pool with many of
us having more interests than 300s, I myself am
on several message boards and have never actually
heard of a rim failure attributed solely to using
radial tires.  I am afraid I have been using them
myself for 25-30 years without problems.  Does
this prove anything?  Not in and of itself, but
if no one is really reporting a problem, and
between us all we are exposed to a significant
percentage of the old car community, that is a telling fact.

Finally, for anyone who managed to get this far
without falling asleep, I believe that any
changes in rims were driven by vehicles
increasing in HP and weight rather than tire
type.  For the life of me, I cannot fathom how a
more flexible tire, which the radial is, can
cause more flex in the rim.  Seems like a stiffer
tire would do that?  For the road, I still
wouldn't hesitate to continue using radials on my
old cars.  If I decide to go canyon carving or
road racing, I will most certainly buy new, larger rims for that purpose.

Ok, rant off.  I do appreciate the efforts to
educate us to possible danger, I just don't quite
know if the information is factual in the sense
that all other variables have been eliminated and
a percentage of chance of failure
assigned.  After all, any tire, any rim, may fail
at any time without prior notice.  It is
dissecting the failure and coming to a good conclusion that is missing here.

Regards,

Bill Huff

At 8/15/200910:19 AM, Tony Rinaldi wrote:

>Hi to all,
>
>As promised, I am attaching the text from an article in Old Cars Weekly.
>Please do not kill the messenger!
>
>Tony Rinaldi

>The following is reprinted from Old Cars Weekly from Sept 21, 2006 and warns
>of the danger of wheel failure unless the rims are replaced by stronger ones
>designed for use with radial tires.
>
>Q. Recently, I purchased five new wide whitewall radials from a reputable
>tire company (one of your advertisers). The car for their intended use is a
>1956 Mercury that previously had biasâ??ply tires. Although I had the new
>radials professionally mounted and balanced, the front hubcaps come off
>while driving, especially the left front on right turns. Can you advise me
>if I need to replace the wheel rims with a heavier type? Robert W. Blume,
>Sr., Calverton, N.Y.
>
>A. Back in 2003, we had a lively discussion of wheels intended for biasâ??ply
>tires "throwing" hubcaps when mounted with radials. Here are readers'
>comments from that discussion. "The problem of cars 'throwing hubcaps' is
>much more serious than rim flex and lost hubcaps. Try losing your life with
>this problem! Rims for bias-ply tires, radial-ply tires, even disc brake
>rims are made out of different alloys. Rims for bias-ply tires cannot use
>radials, and bias and simple radial-ply rims cannot be used for disc brakes..
>The forces exerted by bias-ply versus radial-ply tires (as well as disc
>brakes) are different and need rims made specific to each application. When
>using radial tires on bias-ply rims, the rims overâ??flex as they are unable
>to handle the forces of the radial tires. This over-flexing also means metal
>fatigue, breakage (most commonly rim bead edge separation), and deadly
>accidents. Many will disagree, touting their successful usage of radial
>tires on bias-ply rims, but as a fatal accident investigator, the first
>place I looked in any older car accident was at the rims. My advice when
>replacing bias tires with radials is to immediately change the rims. One can
>tell bias, radial, and disc brake rims by their markings," wrote Sam Egan,
>general manager, Automotive Information Clearinghouse, La Mesa, Calif.
>Another reader wrote, "When you install a radial tire on an old rim and the
>footprint of the tire is wider or equal to the rim bead, the twisting of the
>sidewall puts undue stress on the lighter and original rim. We put radial
>tires on our 1956 Ford and had the same problem. We cured the problem when
>we switched to 1966 Ford rims, which are one inch wider and eight to nine
>pounds heavier, which makes them stronger than the old rims." Paul Haase of
>Waterloo, Iowa, also advised replacing the rims. "Then if the wheel discs
>still slip, they can be held in place a bead of silicone." Sanford Danziger
>recommended locating a set of alloy rims, which would obviate the hubcap
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)