[Chrysler300] Fuel pump/WPC News

Not getting any fuel after running does sound like a fuel pump problem or
clogged fuel line from gas tank crud.  The pushrod issue is worth pursuing
as is making sure your pump diaphragm, gaskets and valves are not soluble in
today's fuel.  The solution below is strictly for hard starting.

A repeat, but it is working well so here goes.

Frequently, all the gasoline in the carbs and glass bowls of our 1955 C-300
would disappear shortly after shutdown, likely by gravity back to the tank
and/or evaporation.  It took lots of cranking and/or priming the carbs with
starting fluid or raw gasoline to get the engine started.  I finally had my
mechanic install an electric fuel pump under the car, back by the tank.  The
pump is wired through a push button under the dash and only gets power when
the ignition key is in the start position.  If I don't get the normal quick
and easy start, I set the gear selector in something other than neutral,
push the button and key the ignition switch to start.  The pump receives
power, but the neutral safety switch keeps the engine from cranking.

I can hear the pump working and it changes tone when it is pumping up
against closed carb float valves when the system is refilled to the float
chambers.  Shift to neutral, crank it and, voila, off she goes.  Not a
purist solution, but far safer and less aggravating and less wear and tear
on Ruthanne's nerves and the C-300 starter and battery.  So, ding me, dang
me.

I also put a pigtail on the push button switch so that I could run on the
electric fuel pump if the mechanical pump failed.  Fuel flows through the
pump while it is off in normal operation and it seems to act as a check
valve to eliminate/reduce backflow to the tank.

Good luck,

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (Just back from the WPC show in nearby Sacramento--a goodly
number of 300's there, including Tom Gerrard's beautiful black 300H
convertible-best of show and Roger Schaaf's best in '55-'56 class 300B.
There may be others--I missed the awards ceremony but have been advised our
C-300 tied for third in the '55-'56 class with a 1956 Imperial
convertible(!!)--supposedly one of three factory conversions of a New Yorker
convertible.  The park was full of wonderful old and new MoPars and their
proud owners.  Many showed due respect for and interest in the 300's).