[Chrysler300] 57 Intake question

I just looked at that '57 300C intake manifold on eBay again and see that
there are some pictures that were either added or I missed them the first
time.  In any case, the casting number is the same as my spare supposedly
'55-'56 intake manifold.  The only visible difference is the previously
noted little oval plate bolted to the top of the manifold on the '57
manifold and, of course, the casting dates (5-6-57) on the eBay manifold and
CWC or CWG on my spare.  The castings may be machined to different
dimensions.

I would be interested in hearing from a '57-'58 300 hemi owner as to what
that little oval plate at the RF top of the manifold is for.  The blanked
off boss lines up with a couple of flat bosses on top of the water
pump--perhaps supports for an a/c compressor???

I find these castings to be kind of interesting.  The big chambers on the
bottom of the manifold take exhaust from one side of the block to another
via passages under each carb.  This crossover exhaust flow would be more
intense while the heat riser valve is close or only partially open.
Interested readers might want to read a thread on heat riser valve function
and problems from the Imperial Club website at:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Exhaust/riser.htm

A contributor to that thread recommends lubing the heat riser valve pins
MONTHLY with the right stuff.  I used to check and lube these heat riser
valves from underneath while doing oil changes/grease jobs.  The proper lube
loosened them up quite well, but they were often stuck.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 Chrysler C-300