[Chrysler300] another gem from Burt on engine cooling

[Chrysler300] another gem from Burt on engine cooling

Forwarding this from Burt Bouwkamp posted on another list:

 Regular vs premium gasoline will not effect engine heat rejection: i.e.
engine cooling.

 At high speeds destructive preignition (due to using low octane gasoline
and/or too much spark advance) could increase heat rejection but that
condition would probably cause piston failure before you knew that you also
had a cooling problem. By "destructive preignition" I am not talking about
"spark knock" on acceleration - I am talking about the aluminum piston head
getting so hot - and soft - that combustion gases blow a hole through the
top of the piston. This happens when the fuel air/mixture in the combustion
chamber explodes from self ignition rather than burning from spark ignition.

 Before we had all the electronic instruments that we have today (the
1950's) we use to set ignition timing just short of borderline knock on
acceleration and we set carburetor mixtures 5% richer than borderline lean.
You could tell borderline lean because the engine seemed to miss at road
load. Actually, borderline lean provided the best economy but we went 5%
richer than this because we knew the customer would not like an engine that
didn't run smoothly.

 Burt Bouwkamp

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional