[Chrysler300] more Xtreme overheating thoughts . . .

[Chrysler300] more Xtreme overheating thoughts . . .

Hello all,
                I've  been watching the comments and experiences and wanted
to share some of my own  thoughts on how my MoPars have reacted to heat
living in NY and then moving out  here to AZ.  Summer arrived here yesterday
with the mercury reaching 110 so  I grabbed the oven mitts.. um I mean driving
gloves and took the K coupe for a  ride for a few hours. This car's temp
gauge was calibrated by Jeff @ JC Auto so  lets assume its registering
correctly.  This car's engine has been bored  and stroked to 494 ci's , is running
a fresh 3 row radiator ( largest would  fit in the original tanks ) fan
shroud and clutch style fan. Note that the  clutch is one picked from the Hayden
catalog with similar dimensions and  rotation to that of the current mopar
repalcements which seem to be taller than  originals and no longer clear the
radiator.

                As  long as I'm running 60mph or more the temp gauge never
goes beyond straight up  (or midpoint).  Stop and go traffic however will
cause the temp to run 90%  across and just get up to the "H" section of the
gauge. Stop for more than a few  minutes with the engine running and I'm
clearly into the "H" range at the end of  the gauge.  What's strange to me is
that this result will occur  regardless of the outside ambient temperature.
Example.. back in March  during the cruise to Las Vegas for MoPars at the
Strip I recall it being maybe  70 degres in northern az.  Crusing was fine at
highway speed, temp gauge at  half but hit the traffic at the Hoover Dam and I
had to shut it down for fear of  cooking valve seals or worse.

            Am  I expecting too much from a 22 inch radiator and a nealry
500ci engine ? ?   Perhaps. My stock K convertible with its 413 and 45 year
old  original-never-recored 3 row radiator has no shroud and a 4 blade  solid
fan with no clutch. Car never runs hot.. ever...  winter  time here runs
the same. Summer time, same temps ( yeah gauge does work; I've  seen it move)
Highway, stop and go, car doesn't care, cools fine and to be  honest and
ashamed I don't think I've even changed the coolant since moving  here 10 years
ago.

        As a comparison of big  blocks and 22 vs. 26 inch radiators I moved
my '70 Charger 440 car out here and  had a little difference experience.
That is a stock 440, with fan clutch, 26inch  3 row radiator with shroud,
original and never recored. In NY even sitting in  traffic going to and from
Carlisle it ran the upper edge of the gauge but never  hot. This in 95 degree
ambient temps. Moved it out here to 110-115 and the  original 29 year old
core couldn't take it... it boiled regularly.

    A local radiator shop told me the core was too old  and couldn't
dissipate the heat so they replaced the original 3 core with a 4  row "staggered"
core. ( very interesting design ) Haven't had an issue since,  any temp,
stop or go car doesn't care.

    Many local guys run aluminum radiators out here  and/or electric
cooling fans. I wonder if that's more of a band-aid for another  underlying
condition. If my 440 runs cool with a good radiator why shouldn't  every other
vehicle. The 440 Charger and my 500ci K are both manual trans so  that removes
the automatic trans heating the radiator out of the equation. I've  given
some thought to yanking the clutch fan on my K and putting a solid mounted  7
blade in it's place to see what happens. I think I may just be expecting too
 much from a little 22 inch radiator and might have to go aluminum.

    Absent an entirely separate discusion of fan clutch  operation and or
ignition and cam timings affect on engine cooling what are all  your thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike Laiserin
Phoenix, AZ
Steps!