Re: [Chrysler300] BlueStreaking

Rich Barber wrote:

> I have a pair of 8.00 X 15 Blue Streaks with the 1 1/16" wide WSW's. Is
> this the standard tire size for H & J's? What about K's, L's and later
> cars? How long were BlueStreaks offered for passenger cars? Was there ever
> a nominal speed rating for these tires? Must have been near 150 MPH.
> Weren't the hot H's & J's good for 145 MPH? The tires are marked 6-ply
> Nylon.
>
> The width is not correct for our '55 C-300 (3"), but I find the tires
> fascinating. The blue dot that turns into a blue streak at 130 MPH is
> actually a basketball-type valve used to inflate the space outside an
> airtight inner liner by using an inflating "needle". The liner was
> supposed
> to provide run flat capability in case of blowout. Very handy north of 120
> MPH. I remember working on similar tires in the '50's with a manual Iron
> Tireman. Lottsa work to break, repair a puncture and remount. Labor was
> $1/hr and Phillips 66 regular was $0.309/G. Boss got $1.50 for a tire
> repair--car, truck or bicycle. Rock and roll was just getting started.
>
> C-300'ly,
> Rich Barber
> Brentwood, CA
> 1955 Chrysler C-300

Narrow white would have been correct for 62 and later. Tire Guides I
have - which were used by dealers show 7.60-15/6ply for H and 8.45-15
(replacement designation for 7.60-15) for J. Unlike other years, it does
not show oversize options for these 2 years - but I would not be
surprised by 8.00-15 as it was next size up and had been the base size
for G with 8.20-15 as Option. And based on low volumes and specialty
application, I can believe 8.00-15 were used into 63 when size
designations changed. But books say 64 & 65 K and L were both on 14 inch
rubber.

Anyone out there got Chrysler Literature showing OE tire sizes for
letter cars? I'd believe that over a generic Tire Guide publication -
particularly interested in 65 300L as thats what I have.

And yes I remember the Goodyear Double Eagles with sidewall inflation
valve and the inner bladders - a real pain in the you know what to mount
the inner liners correctly - but no extra charge back then. Do you have
the liners that go with the tires? I think they were sold separately. I
know we occasionally found them without liners -  but maybe damaged in
previous dismount or remount. Don't know how Goodyear made the sidewall
inflator valve work in flexing area without leaking - but I never saw
one leak though I probably never saw more than half a dozen as we were
Goodrich and Goodyear was a block down the street.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)