Re: [Chrysler300] Rebuilting 1962 300 automatic

Re: [Chrysler300] Rebuilting 1962 300 automatic

  Replacing the converter is always a good idea assuming a quality rebuilt unit is sourced. From experience, not all rebuilts are equal. Price is a poor shopping tool; also from experience.

  Quality parts to put in your transmission should not be hard to find.

  Kits put together by Gil Younger, Trans-Go, out of El Monte, CA, have worked well for me many times. His philosopy of controlled shifts, staying away from 'bang shifting', is right on the mark. The Chryslers I have driven many miles, about the era of a 'G', in my opinion, have had good factory shift quality and the Trans-Go normal or towing duty kits pretty much leave things alone in that regard which has suited my needs just fine.

  The manuals I have accumulated through the years have mostly come fron Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG) and most came through NAPA. I just purchased a Motorbooks manual on a THM 400 for a project and it does look pretty decent. Maybe there is one for a Torqueflite.

  Disassembly by the book and careful cleaning and careful reassembly and this type project can definately be a fun experience. And, you might just very well end up with a better trans than you would get for the amount of money you posted.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

  I'm here in Seminole, Florida and instead of rebuilting my transmission in my "H" three years ago I opt'd to wait and it has gone from $5-600.00 to $ 850.00 with a converter. Is this a reasonable price as I have three 727's needing to be rebuilt.

  Jerry Lindsay
  Seminole, Fl

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional