[Chrysler300] Update on 61G Distributor

I went back to my distributor with the information provided by others about the distributor shaft rotating one-half the rpm of the engine.  I did not realize that.  What I discovered by turning the shaft at a lower rpm, the counterweights still opened at a lower speed than 500 rpm.  The rpm was checked with an rpm indicator.  A closer exam of the springs and by  manually moving the counterweights showed that the heavier spring was stretched to the point that it had no affect,  all the tension came from the lighter spring.  When the weights were fully expanded the large spring had no tension at all.  Apparently someone had replaced or played with it to change the advance.  This goes back to several weeks ago when I posted a problem with the G stumbling when rapid acceleration from idle.  It had no power when being driven up grade, like too much fuel or bad vacuum advance or some other electrical problem.  Thanks to all who responded to this problem, just about all the information I received could of been a cause.  I did go down the list and checked them all out.  I still went back to the distributor, pulled it and discovered the mechanical advance situation with the springs.  Don't know if this is my problem, but seem to be the last thing left.  A very special thanks to Charlie Valentine who told me of a source.  I found the correct MOPAR springs according to the parts catalog and they are being shipped.  I will let you know what happens.  Again, thanks to all!

Paul

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: