Re: [Chrysler300] fake cars

It's unfortunate, but you have to be careful and ask all the right
questions.

For example, I was at the Barrett Jackson auction in 1998 when a 300F
"convertible" went across the block.  It had an 842 body code (2dr HT) on
the data plate, not a correct 845 code for a 300F convertible.  Maybe it was
one of Gassell's creations, or someone else converted a 2dr HT into a
convertible.  Also, the paint was a strange color.  Then, I remembered that
I had seen it in a Chrysler 300 calendar and thought that the picture in the
calendar was too blue, because this apparently "red" convertible seemed
purpleish.   It was close to the 1961 Chrysler dubonnet color (remember the
pictures of John Hertog's 1961 Chrysler 2dr HT?).  Prior to it going on the
auction block, I talked with the owner who claimed that it was one of only
four 1960 300F terra cotta convertibles that were made, and probably "The
only one still in existence".  But, I know what the 300F terra cotta color
looks like, and this was definitely not it.  Later, I found out that quite a
few more than 4 300F terra cotta convertibles were made, and more than that
still exist!

Bottom line: When it went across BJ's auction block, the only thing that was
said (very briefly) about its provenance was that it was a "made" car.
Fortunately for the bidders, it did not reach its reserve price and did not
sell.

As always, buyer beware, and take the time for a proper investigation to
make sure that it is the real thing.

Best regards, Jim in northern IL (where we got above 30 degrees for the
first time this month today)

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Jim Kelly <gmman4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   it's good to hear from other members that whatever you want to call
> them, a fake is a fake. and they should be acknowledged as fakes! the
> problem now is having the auctioneers acknowledge them as fake cars - not
> clones, not tribute, not recreations, not rebodies, but fake.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)