[Chrysler300] Ball and Trunnion drive shaft joints on 300's

[Chrysler300] Ball and Trunnion drive shaft joints on 300's

In preparation for the 1000 mile round trip just ahead to Temecula and  back,
I lubed the rear U joint on the F and then found the front U joint exposed
to the elements because the rubber boot was compromised.  Took it to my
favorite trans shop and noticed that the car made a terrible scratching/scraping
sound in reverse so I wanted to see why the rear brakes or rear end was making
this racket.  I also have noticed a noticeable shudder at about 80 mph that
vibrates the doors, this has been happening for more than a year. I either went
 slower or faster and it went away.

The noise in reverse seemed to be coming from the rear end or the rear
brakes but putting the car on the lift revealed that it really was the ball and
trunnion front joint that was telegraphing the noise down the drive shaft to the
 rear of the car.  Forward driving had never produced any strange noises,
only reverse.  There was much grease all above the U joint where it had  been
thrown out because the boot was torn.  What to do?

The drive shaft was removed and sent out to a drive shaft specialty shop
where the B & T joint was scrapped and a "snap-fit" truck slip joint (by  Spicer
I think) was bolted on.  The rear U joint was replaced with a  similar joint
that never needs lube.  I was told that the front joint  probably would have
failed very soon leaving me stranded far from home.   Total cost was $401.  I
see an ad from a WPC member in Georgia that does  the same work for $395 and up
plus shipping.  Now I know it is not correct  but it sure works swell and the
440 and aluminum Torqueflight  in the car  right now can hardly afford to
discriminate against the new kid on the  block.  The GA guy is Joe McGinnis at 706
745 3985.  I don't know him  at all but had been considering calling him
until recent events hiked the  urgency of the matter.  That's my story and I'm
sticking with  it.
steps!
cemailfooterNO62)

<*> Your email settings: