[Chrysler300] Re: Tired Tires?

Rich Barber wrote:
> All Chrysler 300's have tires and tire issues, so hope this fits the news
> filter.  See this investigative report for information on how to tell the
> age of a tire:
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897
>
> Essentially, the month of manufacture is placed in a little oval on the
> outside surface of the tire that faces the center of the car.  The first two
> digits are the week of the year and the last digit or two is the year.
> 8=1998, 08=2008.  The clip indicated the dates may now also be placed on the
> outside surface of the tire that faces away from the center of the car.
>
> As a consumer, we have the right to know how old the tire is before it is
> purchased and mounted.  A five-year old tire may or may not hold up as well
> as a one year-old tire.  I recently ordered out a set of Fisk narrow WSW for
> my '86 Chrysler LeBaron and the dealer sent the first set back as he thought
> they were too aged.  I'll go back to that guy.  I also put a new set of
> Goodyear Wrangler tires on my Jeep this year and see they were manufactured
> in 2007.
>
> I'd think most new tires would have a pretty good shelf life, but who knows?
> Might's well demand a recently-manufactured tire.  Any tire failure from
> whatever cause might be blamed on an aged tire.  Low pressure probably ruins
> the most tires and results in more fuel being burnt.  Air 'em up!
>
> And, yes, I'm still running a low-mileage set of 15-year old Remington
> L78-15's on our C-300 but hope to pick up a set of 8.00X15 General Dual 90's
> from Lucas Automotive in Long Beach next month while travelling to the
> Chrysler 300 Club, Inc. meet in Temecula (1/21-25/09)  see:
> http://www.chrysler300clubinc.com/calendar.htm
>
> C-300'ly,
> Rich Barber
> Brentwood, CA

Be careful of date coding - the 3 digit date codes have been used since
the 70's - I remember seeing that on tires on my 73 240Z - so while the
first 2 digits represent the week - 01 thru 52, the 3rd digit of 3 could
be 1973 or 1983 or 1993. Back then tires did not last 10 years and they
were not planning for collectors

I don't really know where the limit is - and it may be different as a
function of the rubber compounds used - and there are several in a given
tire - one for sidewalls, one for undertread, one or more for tread, one
for inner liner, etc - but there is a definite aging effect. Most
current manufacturers limit warranty to 4 or 5 years from date of
manufacture. I pulled a set of 4 year old Michelin Hydroedge off with
plenty of tread but sidewall cracking and tread showing signs of age.
Race car tires a year old are a problem.

Aging will also be affected by storage - UV light is a problem and too
cold or too hot may be detrimental - freezing is an issue if significant
moisture is involved. In general aging doubles for every 10 degrees C
(18 F) - so desert storage in uncontrolled temperature is bad. Best
would be a cool, dry, dark space.

Also storage of a car with tires under load is a major problem
especially if tires stay in same position for long periods. This is a
particular problem in the older Nylon tires that flat spot. If short
term, they recover with driving, but long term is a problem. The older
rayon are subject to moisture damage in any cuts or exposure of cord to
moisture and have dry rot issues. Polyester and Polyamide have their
issues too.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: