[Chrysler300] Hemi manifold heat and Dreaming of a White Chrysler

[Chrysler300] Hemi manifold heat and Dreaming of a White Chrysler

  I recently purchased a 1955 300 intake manifold and have been studying it
and I have a very basic question.  What is the source of heat to the chamber
under the air-fuel chambers?  It appears that hot exhaust gas from ports at
the center and top of each head may flow into and through this chamber--or
maybe it is just hot coolant?

If hot exhaust gas, where is its ultimate source?  Is there a long chamber
in the head that connects all the exhaust ports and allows flow upward into
the intake manifold as well as out through the four exhaust ports on the
bottom of each head?  I always assumed there was one port for each exhaust
valve and that each is a straight shot from the exhaust valve to the exhaust
manifold port.  Maybe just one exhaust port in the head is tapped for the
manifold heat source.

The presence of the heat riser valve on one side suggests its purpose is to
create an imbalance between sides when cold, so as to force more exhaust gas
to flow from one side to the other through the chamber under the fuel-air
chambers of the intake manifold.

I am trying to recreate a 1955 Chrysler 300 engine and have lines on the
carbs and have purchased a batwing.  Does anyone have a '55 300 block or
short block for sale?  Serial Number 3NE55XXXX.  I would also be interested
in any 55 hemi block or engine in case I come up dry on a 300 block.  I
still don't have the engineless C300 bought, but have high hopes of rescuing
it from its outside storage in a farmyard and restoring it to as it was when
I first saw the exact car in 1955.  It still has the Des Moines dealer
script on the trunk.

I'm also trying to figure out why our '55 C300 spits black stuff out of the
LHS tailpipe when first started.  It looks like wet carbon from unburned
fuel--perhaps from an over-rich setting on one side of one or both carbs?
Or one set of accelerator pumps doing super duty?

I note that there is a divider between the LHS and RHS of the carb ports in
the intake manifold with crossflow and balancing via a large equalizer tube
between the big intake chambers on each side of the manifold--the floor of
which is the roof of the manifold heat chamber.  This configuration seems
like it could lead to isolation of carb problems to one side or another.

My little calendar project is going well, but I still need high resolution
beauty shots of white 300 coupes from 1962H, 1963J and 1970 Hurst.  If you
have such a car and some nice electronic, non-copyrighted file pictures of
same, I would love to hear from you.  Your car can be Miss August, Miss
September or Miss December, 2009.  This is just a fun personal project with
copies only going to the participants.

Just wondering...

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber