[Chrysler300] 300s old and new Qs and trivia

[Chrysler300] 300s old and new Qs and trivia

Once again a long post - hit delete now if uninterested

1) tonight on TV they showed a doco about China's love for cars - they featured Mercedes, the Mercs they are building/selling there, and amongst the shots was a current Chrysler 300 near finished as it went down the line - doco was dated 2007 in end credits.
Q? Are, or were, Chrysler 300 current shape/model being built in/for China?
(Ps they claim China will have 140 million cars by 2020 - we better get out and enjoy gas while it is not the price of gold if they do??!)

2) As part of trying to piece together the background to Daytona 1957, where one of my 300Cs ran in non factory class, I decided to also collect 1956 Daytona accounts/stuff, because the '57 entry came about because the car's owners attended Daytona '56, and became aware Daytona main sponsor "Pure Oil" had decided to put up major prize money for a fastest 'non factory' entry cateogory, that what they came back for in 1957, got Chrysler to special build the car for them for.

Tonight I received my latest 1956 Daytona account/reporting - namely May 1956 "Speed Age".  And in there of interest to recent Clubsite discussion about 1955 and 1956 300 racing/speeds, I quote 1st para page 29  - "Tim (Flock) said he hit 148 mph in the Chrysler on the speedometer, so fast the wipers were working one inch from the winsdscreen because of the suction."

And then last para - "Then Sunday Tim showed what a skilled driver in a great car, the Chrysler 300B, can do. Floorboarding the Chrysler on the straights, gliding cautiously on the turns, he won by over 50 seconds,over BillyMyers' Merc. Tim won $5,025 for the weekend."

And this after naming 1956 event as "THE MOST DANGEROUS COURSE IN AMERICA" - mention made of "rain and wind made the beach strand a nightmare", and 'six cars pile up on north turn, two odges flip over, a Merc doing six cartwheels on the turn, and Ralph Moody rolling his new Ford doing 115 mph, yet still finishing, and in third place !!?

Then in seperate Stock Report feature, they mention how yet well in 1956, the 300s winning races are the '55 models, not 56 ones, and the photo used at bottom right 2nd page is Buck Baker driving Fonty Flock's (1955) taking the chequered flag from a 2nd 300 at Charlotte NC.

So there is a bit more info for those recently questioning what trans were legal/used in 55-56 300s?  Clearly these were the Chrysler/300 'glory days' ??!

3) Final Question/thought.  Pure Oil sponsored the non factory category for Daytona Flying Mile in 1956 and 1957. My car ran 1957, but came up against 'privateer' Wally Parkes.  Wally was involved/sponsored by "Hot Rod" magazine, went on to head America's Drag Association/Body, and his name/place/founding role in America's Drag history is now forever.  For Daytona, the special  Pure 'non factory' Class, Wally put a hemi in a '57 Plymouth Coupe - what was done to it, or maybe what drag car it was lent from, I have not picked up on yet, but Wally later ran a same/similar car at Bonneville. A couple of the 1957 Daytona account Magazine issues tell of how Wally got higher speeds by mods he made for his 2nd 1957 Daytona attempts, where he ran about/over/around 150mph.

This 'Wally Parkesd/Hot Rod Mag sponsored' 1957 'privateer' entrant, sort of explained to me why my supercharged 300C only appeared once at Daytona - the 'non factory' Pure Oil category/idea, clearly pretty quickly became too much for a true privateer, and with nitro being so common in 1957, even a supercharged 300C steet car may have been a tall ask against pro draggers using nirto drag race hemis in light coupes?

Anyhow to the question - as I am now also collecting/have much period 'Pure Oil' stuff re 1956/57 Daytona and other Pure racing involvements, do any of the '300membership' have any/much knowledge of how great and long was Pure's involvement with racing/Daytona,  other performance backgrounds?  (and another Mopar/300 connection - Pure were co sponsors with Chrysler in a free mid 50s Road Safety Booklet - anyone know anything more about this ?!)

Christopher in Australia, where you grain growing 300owning members may like to now our crazy weather continues, with snow just west of Sydney's famed beaches, and where I am, our coldest morning for near 3 decades, and despite showers near 5 days out of every seven, the drought not broken yet, although crops could be good if one decent rain before warm spring winds in about 5-7 weeks. (300s all covered up weather for last two months plus.)

ps one of our Banks writing off $1 billion of US Home Loans Friday, said on TV, it so bad in US currently because there are 18 million homes  (!!!!? - that many ??!!) currently for sale in the US - so Question4 - how strict are laws about an aussie moving there with a few cars - including a few 300Cs - looks like some nice warm weather places other there that you still can drive a car sort of fast and not go to jail and see you car confiscated - let me know off list, I may be serious, but would only bring about 5-7 of my cars, replace the more common ones ones sold here with others there.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)