[Chrysler300] Jett Propulsion

  I know Larry Jett will not toot his own trumpet horns, but his gorgeous
'57 Chrysler 300 convertible placed second in the 1949-1960 "Open Car" class
today at a 249-car show at the Redwood Chapel in Castro Valley.  The
beautiful Gauguin Red brute stood out among a plethora of belly button cars
like a tuxedo in a room full of brown shoes (thanks, George Gobel).  But,
first place went to a Fire Engine Red '49 Chebby ragtop with a solid chrome
supercharged 572 V-8 in it.  The judges and the public liked it.  People's
choice was a Mustang GT 500.

Our '55 white C-300 coupe drew a lot of bystanders and admirers as usual,
but could not stand up to the solid chrome billet, polished brass radiators
and superchargers on the bowtie and blue oval "Closed Cars".  I drove about
90 miles round trip at 10 MPG and got a free show entry, lots of car talk
with folks that recall the '55's heyday, a free hamburger lunch, a gimme cap
and a short inspiring message by the pastor as he compared the restoration
and preservation of old cars to restoration and preservation of our mortal
bodies and souls.  An appropriate message for me during this week as we all
consider our own mortality and mourn the loss of a fellow 300 enthusiast,
John Hertog.  Adding in the pleasure of seeing Larry score on "Tri-Five
Chebby Day" at Castro Valley, the trip became a bargain!  And, the C-300 and
its driver don't mind driving on the freeways here at all.  At 65, 90 is
just a nudge away.  The factory-designated "64" air conditioning was
adequate.

Interestingly enough, if I had driven our rather mundane 1986 Chrysler
LeBaron Town & Country convertible, it would have won a best in class trophy
for the 1973-1990 "Open Car" class as none were entered.

Our C-300 is entered in another show in our hometown tomorrow.  Best wishes
to all who may be sharing and showing their 300's to an admiring public this
weekend.  Carpe diem!

C-300'ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA