RE: [Chrysler300] Re: AMAs, 355HP, Manual C300, et.al.

RE: [Chrysler300] Re: AMAs, 355HP, Manual C300, et.al.

I agree.  It seems to confirm more than one manual tranmission car in 1955:
"he wanted Gene Carr (my assistant) in Oshkosh that night to help them
convert the race cars to manual transmissions".

Wayne, I couldn't agree with you more on the significance of the 300 and
Carl K's activities.  It is the classic story of the small American
independent taking on the big guys, and though timing, smarts, savay, shrewd
dealing and luck, beating them at their own game.  Additionally, it laid the
groundwork for the continuation of the 300 letter cars for a string of 10
years, as well as Chrysler's efforts in NASCAR activities for years into the
future.  I think the Charger Daytona and P. Superbird really got their roots
from Carl in 1955, 1956.  Chrysler just wasn't willing to push it on their
own, even though they had superior engineering.  The 1951, 1952 Saratoga is
a good case in point.  I certainly appreciate it; that is why I have a web
site dealing with the subject.  Somehow, I'd like to have a section of the
web site to capture the comments of others, like yourself.

As well, Carl captured the attention of Hollywood, to Carl's chagrin.  The
movie "Thunder in Carolina" is a take off on his activities.  As well, I
believe the 1961 movie "The Green Helmet", which is about European racing
uses a character lifted from Carl's personality.  And the idea that Carl
pushed to have the Road America course sanctioned for European racing is
another aspect of Carl's story.

Anyhow, thanks for the link!

Dan Elliott