RE: [Chrysler300] correct restorations & other website topic

RE: [Chrysler300] correct restorations & other website topic

In here I pose a 300C/D modifying idea re Carter Carbs I ask any interested let me know their thoughts.

Here in Australia, the last few years has seen classic 50s icons both souped up, and outright hotrodded, such as a local 55 Chev convertible that recently was awarded Top 10 Car status at Aust's best regarded major Hot Rod Show - it's original 265 motor now a modern  near 700 horsepower double that size - the now common around 20+ inch modern mags - likely about $150k to build/replace.

There are very few 300s fully restored yet here, a few wedge rammed 300s being such large projects to get finished/right, I doubt many contemplate rodding them.

Back in the late 70s, there were likely only a handfull of any aussies who really lusted after any late 50s, early 60s 300 style cars, me being one, and that when I got my first 300 - a C.  And always being a bit of a lead foot, open country road user, and my first 300C already then slightly 'fiddled with', so ten years later I grabbed a 2nd one that I said would be the one I restored 100% factory if I could.  And then came the chance for the supercharged one - 550bhp from new, and so 'souping up more' the first one, was not so urgent.

And so now after now 28 years ownership of first one, I am modifying my now 'not so important it be 100% correct' 300C - fitting alloy Weind intake, and instead of flooding on turns prone Carter WCFB duals, I am fitting dual 1957 Imperial 392 AFB carbs - you can still use original aircleaners (and if wanted, original cast iron intake).

Wayne Graefen in his Club mag write up of his ex Keikhaffer car, mentioned how the WCFBs were too much trouble, and how the mighty Mr K was trying alternatives - well my idea is 300ly wrong, but is that any worse than MR K's efforts.

And once I have tuned it so it works best, I am copying supercharger mountinng installation of supercharged 300C, so I can use/thrash a supercharged one not so irreplaceable as the original supercharged which still only shows just over 60,000 miles, albeit it suffering re rust issues still just not finished yet.

But to end an overlong post - if what we/anyone does is in my mind in the spirt of '300ship', and is a bolt on thing that is period for then, then that is (to my many classic car year fiddling years/expertise) far less worse than later totally wrong engines, wheels, brakes, etc  ??

But ignoring all this, he who owns the car,  really can do as he pleases, but should we 300ly bite our tongues, or speak up, when something is so obviously 300ly wrong if we see it on a 300?

Christopher in Australia where getting 300 magazine in mail is great, but it would also be nice if could download/print photos featured in it in color and larger size.

To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: r41hp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:23:13 -0700Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] correct restorations vs restomods

I think most active club members appreciate that a lotof car guys like to "hot rod" their cars, but with theletter series 300s we are dealing with LIMITEDPRODUCTION cars with historical significance, so Ithink most of us agree modifications to letter 300sshould be subtle. Also, I think time has proven thatstock or at least stock-appearing cars in general holdtheir value the best. Also, with the price ofadmission to a 300, you could do a lot bettercustomizing a non-300 Chrysler. Street rodded / Hotrodded 300s should probably be judged in a separateclass at meets, then everyone can be happy.Which brings me to my next point: no one ever talksabout the legalities of disc brake modifications. Myantique insurance company says antique cars should be:"Factory original; i.e. there should be few, if any,changes from the factory original specifications."My state (Illinois) says to qualify for antique plates"The mechanical and physical condition of the vehicle,including brakes, lights, glass and appearance, mustbe the same or as safe as originally equipped."So what happens if you get in an accident? Is yourinsurance company going to back you up? Looks like theburden of proof is on you if you've modified yourbrakes.Motor Life magazine reported a 60-to-0 stop of 131feet in April '61 in a 300G. That's quite good even bytoday's standards. So what if they fade after a fewstops? If you are driving your 40-50 year old car likethat maybe you should be driving something new.Andy MikonisChicago--- kevin adams <kmotion45@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Hey gang< Got a question that I am sure has been> knocked about. I just left the MOPARS AT THE STRIP> in> Las Vegas this past weekend . Had a ball and had an> opportunity to observe some happenings and what> seems> to be the prevailing winds blowing thru the mopar> camp. I see a trend to Upgrade, To Modify, To use> other than ,hard won,junkyard gathered, friend-club> procured parts for our Mopars. I found this quite> refreshing inlight of our brand -X step cousins> racking up tons of cudos for creatively done cars> while we as mopar group struggle to make the grade> in> a car wourld that is only now is supporting the> chrysler hobby. It was a great thing to observe and> the after market is doing a good job but it is not> of> the "correct restoration in a big sense. Please oyur> feedback is important! sound off on your opinion on> corrct or how much restify is ok with you. Kevin,> 300k, 300g , 300sport ,> > > >__________________________________________________________> You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one> month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. > http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com> __________________________________________________________You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com

Search for local singles online @ Lavalife - Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30290&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search_OCT07&_m=EXT

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)