[Chrysler300] C300 checkerboard emblems

A fellow member contributed this and so continues my quest for info on my
C-300.

"Rich, I purchased the mentioned decals from Gary, years ago. The design was
backwards. My emblems start at top left to right--white first then black."

Properly designed and implemented, these hood and trunk emblems could be
like fine jewelry a-la the Cadillac cloisonné emblems.  I could certainly
understand Chrysler not paying this kind of attention to fine detail as they
quickly designed and began fabricating or contracting these chrome-plated
and painted pot metal castings that were unique to 1725 cars.   I could
understand, but would be disappointed.  Design and detail in the hubcap
centers, external chromed letters and other interior detail seems
impeccable.

I went to our website to view the hood and trunk ornaments.  The 1955 guide
to ornaments is a photo of an emblem on a Platinum car having five rows of
tiny squares with 13 full squares and two partial squares in the top row.
Clicking on that takes one to a better photo on a Tango machine showing
three irregular height rows with seven full squares and two black partial
squares of different sizes on the top row.   The top and bottom rows are
taller to fill in the vertical space without starting a fourth,
partial-height row.

I mistakenly assumed the squares should be identical sized and in a
symmetric pattern.  That?s the Virgo and engineer in me.  This yielded about
3 1/2 rows vertically and I matched the rather crude painted squares done by
some well-meaning restorer in ancient times.  So, I ended up with partial
white squares at each end of the top row.

Those C-300 owners that believe they have original or perfectly restored
emblems, please weigh in on what your emblem looks like.

Number of full rows?
Number of partial height rows, if any?
Are the squares symmetric to the vertical centerline under the middle "0"?
Number of full squares in each row?
Number of partial squares in each row?
Are the partial squares at the ends of each row of identical size?
Is each row of equal height or is the top and bottom row taller to fill in
the space?
Any evaluations of the Goers decals?
Do you feel either of the Platinum car or Tango car emblems at our website
are accurate representations of your original?
Are front and back emblems similar or identical?

All:
Info:

a. The areas where the checkerboard patterns are placed are smooth, with no
lips or ridges to hold black and white paint.  The photo of the 300-B emblem
at our website indicates it may have these ridges to define and contain the
little squares.
b. Do not try to yank a stuck trunk lid with the trunk lid emblem.  A little
too much effort on my part ended up with a broken emblem.  Don't force it,
get a bigger hammer.

Your opinion:  Is it possible the emblems were manually painted and that
different operators might have placed the template, stencil or mask slightly
differently on each emblem?

Assuming we can resolve this high-tech question, the website editors may
need to change one, or both, website photos of the emblems.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA

Yahoo! Groups Links