RE: [Chrysler300] Cold start--Electric fuel pump

RE: [Chrysler300] Cold start--Electric fuel pump

Ray and all,

What started out as relatively simple is getting confusing because of
different years and switch types.  The way I have my G elec fuel pump wired
is the way Ray  describes, a wire from the "on" terminal to the pushbutton
then to the pump and then to ground to complete the circuit.  What Bruce is
doing is connecting the pump to the "start" output from the key switch,
where it connects to the starter relay.  When the key switch is turned to
"start", voltage is applied to the elec pump and it is then energized.  To
keep the starter from turning over, he depresses the trans selector button
to any position BUT Neutral while he is pumping up the fuel.  This way the
neutral safety switch keeps the starter relay from closing because there is
no ground present.  Once the fuel is pumped up, press the Neutral button,
turn the key, and it fires right up.

Please note, this only will work on later cars that use the ignition key to
start the motor, NOT the Neutral pushbutton.  I'm not sure what years use
the Neutral button for starting, but I think it is '55-'57, someone can
correct me here.  As far as using both a pushbutton and a connection to the
starter relay, I don't recommend it because if you pushed the fuel pump
switch button with the car in Neutral it would close the starter relay and
turn over the engine at the same time, and if the engine is running, that
would not be a good thing.  So, the point here is to use one or the other,
but not both.  What Ray is describing is having both a toggle switch AND a
separate pushbutton, yet another way to do it, but in my opinion unnecessary
because the only time you would need the toggle is if the mechanical pump
fails. Sorry for all the confusion, but installing the electric fuel pump
really is the answer to hard starting after the car sits for an extended
period.  I just hope you all aren't tired of the subject and my postings!

Bob J

  _____