[Chrysler300] More On Oil

Given the recent discussion on oil on the list server, I thought an article
today in the Dayton (Ohio) Daily News might be of interest.  Somewhat
lengthy, but relevant.  Synopsis follows.

    Got zinc? Most motor oils today don't have enough  if you're driving a
classic car,  Classic car owners have become  increasingly frustrated with
engine problems, mostly related to the failure of  camshafts after a rebuild.  It's
been as hot topic over the last few years  by everyone with an engine built
before 1973.

    Oil companies have reduced the zinc and phosphorous  content in their
oils because the had to.  Both chemicals impact catalytic  converters, and the
car companies aren't going to fix the converters.   Plus, new engines don't need
zinc; they don't use flat tappets.

    A local engine rebuilder said, "No one was making  high-zinc content oil,
so we found a refinery who would make the oil for us with  the right amount
of zinc and phosphorous.  We formulated it like the old  oils with 0.125
percent zinc and phosphorous.  Most oils today with an  API-SM label have an average
 0.087 percent zinc and phosphorous, just not  enough to create a coating on
the cam lobes.

    Motorhead Classic oil currently comes in one  viscosity, 15W-40, and it
is only available in gallon jugs.  The oil sells  for $14.50 per gallon, or
$3.62 per quart.  The oil can be purchased on  e-mail:
  _think-zinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:think-zinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) .

Terry McTaggart

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: