[Chrysler300] AJJ Disc Brake for 300 B

I have finally come to my senses and decided to replace the drum brakes on our B with disc brakes.  A couple of years ago we had rebuilt the entire braking system(new cylinders, shoes(contour ground in properly), springs, resurfaced drums, brake lines, etc etc.  From time to time(often) when lightly braking, the right front wheel wants to grab and at times will actually lock up enough to cause the tire to squeal.  Particularly embarrassing at very low speed.  I have learned to somewhat ride the brake pedal when at a car show or going thru a parking lot.  Investigations have been done of the drums, brake shoes for either grease from the bearings or leaking cylinders of brake fluid.  Nothing to be found. I now have theories on warped backing plates and other such far out thoughts.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Timo Tanskanen has looked at for me and he too is snowed.  Car also at high speeds will have a slight tendency to pull right when the brakes are applied with any force.  At other times, all will be well.

Nevertheless I have spoken to Roger at AJJ regarding his conversion system.  He suggests using a Corvette master cylinder(he has an adapter to gain two reservoirs) but has said that there could be interference with the left valve cover.  Also questions on compensator valve(where to locate--on the master cylinder??, or elsewhere) to balance front to rear braking forces.  Also have to create some new brake lines and a stop light switch system(the stock B has a pressure switch), the Corvette system uses a brake pedal switch.  Also questions on if I should do the rear brakes with discs.  Also I have wire wheels and am concerned by them quickly getting very dirty.  And of course wire wheels would be very tough to keep clean properly.  On my older Mercedes SEC, I have always ran brake shields(work perfectly to keep wheels clean, but my anal Mercedes Service Advisor goes slightly nutso because I do this) with zero problems in 20 years of owning the car.  Would consider using same approach on the B.

I am seeking advice from anyone who has done this conversion on any tips and what mistakes I can avoid.  Where did you buy your calipers, discs and pads, or did you use those supplied by AJJ?  Perhaps someone has written a paper on this conversion that I am not aware of!  All sounds fairly straight forward, but I have learned that what often starts out simple, can turn into quite a can of worms.  Been there done that too often, so seeking some advice before I start this project.  Amazing how your thinking changes as you get older.

Roger Schaaf
300 B Calyfornua

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: