[Chrysler300] 60-62 INSTRUMENT NEEDLES

Hi all ;  Before I spend a lot of time experimenting with fluorescent
paint concoctions to apply to the instrument needles (that will male
them glow red/orange  when activated by the  instrument  high voltage
supply) I thought someone out there has already come up with something
that works.  The Model Master Fluorescent red (red /orange) colors the
needles ok (as well as other paints including translucent red/orange)
but is not activated by the 150-200 vac - the bleached out gray needle
color still shows through the fluorescent paint.   Has anyone any
information as to what the original dyed material coating ( I suspect
the needles were dipped in a viscous conductive mixture is that the
factor) is?   I plan to add various conductive materials/solutions to
the Model Master paint as first attempt.   I'm aware of someone in
Oregon that restores instruments but having some 30 to 40  60-62
instruments  (I only need 6) I plan to replace the corroded, fine. wire
to the needles and recoat the needles -all myself - as I suspect I would
be charged a fortune if done by others.   Someday (after I get my car
done) I hope to be able to reassemble a number of functioning instrument
clusters/speedo's, clock, etc.  I have and make them available.

I vaguely remember seeing, many years ago,  some old paper
(advertisement?) describing, and showing details of the 60-62 instrument
construction layer-by-layer,  the design of the instruments and how they
lit up.  If someone has this paper by chance would appreciate letting me
know  if the needle coating material is identified!

Regards  Ken Wilson, San Jose, Calif.
1962-300

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: