RE: [Chrysler300] aluminum parts - questions & tip pleas

RE: [Chrysler300] aluminum parts - questions & tip pleas

Michael and all:

The white stuff is most likely corrosion products and/or mineral deposits
from the coolant.  The combination of an aluminum radiator and an iron block
creates a low-Voltage battery and requires an appropriate corrosion
inhibitor in the coolant.  Chevrolet found this out when the iron heads and
aluminum blocks on their Vegas resulted in corrosion and failure of the head
gaskets and resultant failure of the avant-garde aluminum blocks.  A
redesigned corrosion inhibitor in the antifreeze/coolant solved the problem,
but too late to save the little Vega's reputation.  The company I worked for
had a unit that produced the old antifreeze using an old inhibitor package
and was thrilled to get the contract to provide antifreeze for all the new
Vegas--until they got sued for resultant damages.

Most current antifreeze will contain a corrosion inhibitor that will protect
the cooling system against corrosion and deposition, but check the label to
make sure it is compatible with aluminum in the system.  Some antifreeze
comes with treated water already in the mix so does not require dilution.
You are on the right track with distilled water, but the chemists know that
traces of the right minerals will work with the corrosion inhibitor
chemicals to provide the best protection.  In general, I'd think water from
a reverse-osmosis tap water system would be adequate.  Distilled water can
in itself be corrosive as it can quickly dissolve some metals.  GM's
premixed product is called Dexcool and was designed to do it all for a long
time, but they are being sued for problems with it.  See:
http://tinyurl.com/2ekhfa

Selecting an appropriate antifreeze and the proper source of the 50% or so
water for dilution is very important for all cooling systems, especially
those with aluminum components.  The brass radiators seem to be a little
more tolerant, but still require TLC and periodic changeout and avoidance of
adding hard water and/or different brand antifreeze.  A good thorough
cooling system flush, followed by addition of a well-researched coolant
solution should get you off to a good start.  Keeping a jug of 50-50 mix of
the same brand of antifreeze for topping off the system would be appropriate
as would a plan to periodically inspect for goo and sludge and changeout
every few years.

Large industrial engines also use antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor solutions
in their cooling systems.  Samples are periodically taken and tested for pH
(acidity), corrosion inhibitor level, glycol condition, suspended corrosion
products, dissolved metals & etc.  Glycols are organic compounds and do
break down over time due to heat.  Used/spent glycol solutions can be
reclaimed by distillation and purification.  Activated charcoal filters can
be used to remove some of the products of glycol breakdown.

I know--more than you needed to know--but I've spent a lot of time working
on this subject and hope some can benefit from this dissertation.  Chrysler
300 owner/operators and other classic/antique/specialty car aficionados do
need to keep an eye on their (cars') cooling systems to assure clean
passages, good chemistry and long life.  I'd like to install an overflow
bottle and special radiator cap on my 1955 to keep the upper radiator tank
full and free of air but have not seen one of those kits for years.  If
anyone has seen one of these systems, please let me know.  As it is, if I
fill the tank full cold, it will burp out some of the liquid when it gets
hot and pull air back into the system as it cools.  The oxygen in the air
then helps oxidize and degrade the glycol solution.  Modern cooling systems
use a surge tank to keep the system full and the surge tank also provides a
place for sludge and goo to collect and drop out.  That black goo is broken
down glycol.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (Don't have much need for steenking antifreeze this
week--other than to raise the boiling point)
1955 Chrysler C-300 Coupe-with overflow tube--hot mama in slow traffic
1986 Chrysler Turbo T&C Convertible-with overflow bottle and air
conditioning