Re: [Chrysler300] Electrical Help

If this is an aluminum 727 transmission car, then the neutral switch
should be a single terminal switch found on the transmission body
itself.  As such it would complete the starting relay circuit to
ground except when in gear.  As a grounded circuit the only load is
the relay pull in coil which is before the connecting wire or the
neutral switch in the circuit.

If a ground occurred in the wire or the switch itself the only effect
would be to lose the protection of not starting in gear, i.e. the
starting relay would pull in anytime the start switch was activated.

If the wire is getting hot and the amp is pegging there may be a
short between the neutral switch wire and another wire that has B+
voltage on it.  I would begin troubleshooting with the starting
relay.  I don't have any electrical diagrams with me, but I believe
the ignition feed that bypasses the ballast resister may come from
the starting relay.  Possibly the relay pull in coil is shorting
out?  I dunno where else to check without a diagram, but the problem
is almost certainly not a short to ground in the neutral switch or
it's connecting wire lead.  One electrical troubleshooting tip is to
pull the fuses, one by one and seeing if the condition repeats
itself.  Good luck, these can be tough if the condition is intermittent.

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/auto/5.html

Bill Huff

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: