[Chrysler300] Part 2: Brainstorming & Troubleshooting Req'd - '65 300

[Chrysler300] Part 2: Brainstorming & Troubleshooting Req'd - '65 300

Several members have suggested the propane trick to locate a vacuum leak. I
have tried my variation of that but will follow up with a more elaborate
method to be sure. I suspect the leak is likely occuring between runners or
into the lifter valley due to the oil burning issue. (slightly blue smoke
noted at tailpipe)

A friend of mine who has owned and supplied parts for mopars for years
suggested I check the position of the distributor drive gear. Neither of us
can figure out why/how it could possibly make a difference but he's had
experiences where the placement mattered and points out that the position is
stressed in many of the factory manuals he's seen.

I usually just place the gear in a position that will allow me to position
the vacuum advance pot appropriately and then index the plug leads to the
rotor. Can anyone offer any info on why that might not be the best way to
go? It is specified that the drive gear be placed in a position where the
slot is running exactly front-to-back while the engine is at TDC. I'm not
sure if mine is in this position or not.

Also, before anyone suggest this as a possible problem, the harmonic
balancer has been indexed to TDC and is within 2 degrees with no 'walking'
noted.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far!

Ryan Hill

Windows Live Hotmail with drag and drop, you can easily move and organize
your mail in one simple step. Get it today!
www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA153

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional