[Chrysler300] Off Topic but important Newest Ebay Scam

[Chrysler300] Off Topic but important Newest Ebay Scam

Hi Club,

This morning, I was perusing Ebay for various Chrysler products and came up
with the following car for sale:

http://tinyurl.com/2vty49

This is for a 1959 DeSoto Convertible.  The ad is convincing to the point
that I bid on the car.  With a little over a day left, I was shocked at how
low the bidding was (just under 20K) for what looks like a decent car.  I
placed a bid and then reviewed the bidder history.  The short version is
that every bid basically over 20K was cancelled by the seller with a request
for email contact.  There were dozens of bids on the car cancelled.

The seller is a new seller with 0 feedback.

I put in a user information request with Ebay and came up with the following
information:

  Contact Information for brossman19608 :

User ID:    brossman19608
Name:   Joann Brossman
Company:
City:   Sinking Spring
State:   PA
Country:   United States
Phone:   (610) 678-1982
Registered Since:   Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 02:32:51 PST

I put a call into this person and got a fax machine.  I then faxed her a
note requesting a call back.  Then I reverse number checked in
Whitepages.com and came up empty.  Lastly, I searched her in White pages and
came up with several possibles that were all wrong numbers.

If you look at the lower right hand side of the images, you will see the
Ebay trademark camera watermark.  You can also see that the part of the
image is not correct.  I believe this to be a fraud protection tool offered
by Ebay.  You need to look at the ad to see what I am talking about.  If
someone can articulate this better then I for the club, please do!

I am not saying this Joann person is a fraudster but I really suspect that
the ad is fraudulent.  I am not a member of any other groups and know that
many on this server are and probably know players on that car.  I am hoping
you could cascade this to the appropriate servers to avoid possible success
by a possible fraudster.

If someone knows the seller and it is legitimate, I will be the first to
offer apologies but I felt the situation warranted this email.

In the interest of full disclosure, if the ad is real, I am interested in
the car...but I highly doubt the ad is real.

Regards,

John Lyons

P.S.  There a really nice black 300G on Ebay right now.  I don't know the
seller but the car looks great.  There!  On topic!!!

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: