From: Rich Barber [mailto:c300@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 9:58 PM
To: 'HemiDriver@xxxxxxx'
Cc: Forward Look Server; 'Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Door latch problem

Jim:

I just happen to have a high-res picture of the inside of the passenger's
side door on my 1955 Chrysler C-300 and have attached it.  This should be
the same design as your 2-dr HT 1956 St. Regis. This might save you the
trouble of pulling the panel off your other door for a comparison.  You can
see the horizontal bar that runs from the inside door handle shaft to the
latch area.  It is possible, but unlikely that this has failed or come
undone.  You should be able to compare the"feel" of the two door latches and
if they are about the same, the bar is probably still attached.  If the bar
has become detached from the inside door handle mechanism, perhaps the
picture will guide you to some method of grabbing the bar and pulling it
forward.  I could visualize a long, flat steel strip inserted down to the
base of the door next to a closed window and 6-8" ahead of the rear of the
door to try and snag the bar where it bends toward the outside of the
door--then lever it forward to unlatch.  I just tried this with an aluminum
meter-stick with no success--but it does seem that the door latch mechanism
can be reached with a slim bar and perhaps unlatched once you determine the
nature of that latch.  Obviously, it is released by pulling something toward
the front of the car, so some kind of a grabber fork might work--or use a
coat hanger or stronger & stiffer wire with just the right hook.

I don't think there is anything that can be done from the backside of either
door post.  I did not examine the latch area so can't help you there.  I did
have several problems with that door when the outside door handle was only
partially opened and the door sort of hung up.  Then neither the inside or
outside latches would fully release the door.  I got someone to hold both
latches open and I threw my shoulder into the door panel from the inside
(I'm a mechanical engineer and a believer in the bigger hammer theory) and
the door popped open --twice.  I think the little wheel was just jammed and
hope that is true for yours.

If you have not already found out, removal of the inside door handle and
window crank (if manual) is difficult without the rare special tool.  Let me
know if you need help on this and I'll try to describe the special tools I
built to get that job done.  The handles have spring clips that must be
released and mine were stuck to the shafts very firmly due to overspray from
the paint job on the shafts.  I had to rig a puller to coax them off.

Let us know how these and others' ideas work.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 Chrysler C-300