Re: [Chrysler300] Radials on older rims

I was always told not to chrome plate suspension or structural parts
due to hydrogen embrittlement.

"Hydrogen inhibits the metals ability to deform, and the result is,
the metal can break or fracture at a much lower load or stress than
anticipated. The affects of hydrogen embrittlement on metals is a
serious problem, especially in aircraft & aerospace component manufacturing."

http://www.nmfrc.org/crarchive/jun06a.cfm

I know there is a process to reduce the embrittlement for chrome
pieces such as springs, etc.  I wonder if that is done when items
such as wheels are rechromed after market?

Bill Huff

At 1/27/200711:13 PM, choochooch@xxxxxxx wrote:
>I too have had a wheel come apart. One of my Kelsey Hayes wire wheels on  the
>C-300 came apart while cornering (fortunately at low speed). The strange
>thing is that it looked great front and back and when re-chromed a few years
>ago,  no one reported problems. While my experience makes me  wonder
>about these
>order wheels generally, it didn't appear to be related  to tire type.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: