[Chrysler300] Trailering a 300D

In 2006, I bought a new 18'X8 1/2' flatbed trailer to haul our 1955 C-300
around in style.  The trailer bed is tilted down a little at the back 4', or
so, and has ramps that slide into lockable compartments from the rear.  The
trailer also has a removable steel "windshield that is about as high as the
top of the hood of the car.  This shield is not very aerodynamic, but has
caught a lot of bugs, tar, grease and rock chips.  The trailer has brakes on
one axle and I was advised this is enough as getting the brakes on the two
axles to balance may be challenging.  There are four pivoting rings in the
all-steel floor for attaching the hold downs.  I bought four axle straps and
found places on the rear axle and front suspension to loop them.  In spite
of tight straps, the car moves around a little and I did get a small rub on
the bottom of a door from contact with the fender.  I was not well centered
and thought that didn't matter.  It did.  Make some marks on the bed where
you want the tires to be and have a helper guide you.

We also bought a 4WD 2005 Durango with hemi, five-speed tranny with TOW-HAUL
mode, trailer towing package and 3.92 axles to pull the trailer with. I
purchased a load distributing hitch and a trailer brake controller and found
the system worked well.  We towed the Chrysler from California to Des
Moines, KC, Mena, Lawton and back last September and had absolutely no
problems up to 85, anyway.  Averaged 11.5 MPG.  Well, one problem--one of
the taillight assemblies failed prematurely and it was expensive to replace
as it was a sealed unit.  It was apparently something standard as I found
one at a truck stop.  At home, I was able to open up the assembly and insert
a new bulb, so I have a spare.

I had the dealer add a few more stake pockets for 2X4's and these came in
handy as our church used the trailer as a float base for a Nativity scene,
carolers and musicians in a local Christmas parade.  Side fences were built
and installed to prevent people from falling off.  Having a trailer is like
having a pickup--all of a sudden you get more friends than you knew you had.
Not a bad thing.  I also had the dealer add an optional spare tire mount.
The standard trailer tires on new trailers are apparently mostly poor
Chinese quality.  I have yet to determine what a good, reliable brand of
trailer tire is.  Be sure to carry a floor or bottle jack.  I also purchased
a gizmo that can be locked in the trailer hitch to prevent unauthorized
towing of the trailer.  And, we have a car cover that we use to cover the
car from prying and greedy eyes at night.  You need to carefully review the
load rating of your trailer, hitch, axles and tires.  This should be stamped
on the trailer and stamped into the tires.  That smaller trailer may
translate into inadequate load-carrying capacity.  Be sure to air up the
tires to the maximum.

The float won first prize, even if the car did not.  The show, message and
showmanship were better by far for the float.  The rig can be viewed on our
club website at:  http://www.chrysler300club.com/events/lawton06/lawton.html

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber