Re: [Chrysler300] Trim clips... Or did I open a big can of worms?

Re: [Chrysler300] Trim clips... Or did I open a big can of worms?

Jim,

Some years back my friend Wayne Graefen and I started a venture known as Brute Force Racing.  We were having most of the letters and numbers reproduced for the letter cars.  There were many bumps in the road with our source and we made very little profit on each item offered to owners in need.

After a long period of advertising them and several re-orders we figured the pipeline had been filled, thus we ended that portion of our venture.  Our investement over that period included some items that we will probably never sell just because there is no interest, but we had then made to help out owners.

As soon as we ceased production and depleted certain inventories people started clamering for more.  People would actually contact us and get angry when we wouldn't provide them with one or two pieces to complete their project.  They simply couldn't understand the "big picture" that we had to order in quantity each item from the vendor.  For a number of years they were available and these people never stepped up and purchased anything, but they were very fast to bad mouth us.  In short, what I've personally learned over my years in the hobby is if you see something that you may need in the future for a car and you can afford it make the purchase.  Even if you don't use it there is a good chance someone else will be in need in future times and you will probably recoup your investment.

Gary Goers now offers the items that Wayne and I once did along with some that we wanted to offer, but could never make it happen.  I personally applaud him for the effort and feel his pricing is more than fare for what he offers in these items.  Believe me when I tell you that I know the problems he or anyone else goes through trying to bring something like this for sale.

Along those same lines if you are familiar with the Pertronix Ignitor for the early Hemi's and the 413 series engines, well I'm the guy that went to Pertronix and had them developed.  Originally they promised me an exclusive on the early Hemi units, but after a period rescinded because they felt we couldn't move enough units for them.  Needless to say I wasn't happy, but what could I do.  I still offer those through my business along with the entire Pertronix line to club members at wholesale prices and have inquires constantly.  The humor to all of this is that Pertronix still contacts me with questions relating to the early Chrysler stuff.

Recently a club member referred someone looking for such an offering to me and I answered all of the questions only to find out later that this person had made the purchase elsewhere.  The referring member (who will remain nameless) contacted me with his discuss regarding no loyalty amongst club members who are trying to assist other members with their projects.  I thanked him for his support and just said that is the way of the world.

In closing I would applaud you for the effort of finding a source and offering it to members.  If you take negative comments from some, just consider where it is coming from and move forward.  If we all had the idea that someone is getting rich because of something like having clips made nothing would ever get made to help us preserve our cars.  I wouldn't be surprised if I even get negative comments from this, but frankly I don't care.

John Lazenby

1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe Town & Country
1955 Imperial Newport
1955 Chrysler C300 Tango Red
1956 Chrysler 300B Cloud White
1957 Chrysler 300C Coupe Raven Black