Re: [Chrysler300] Spa Day for the Lady

In a message dated 11/5/2006 12:30:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
robkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The upper and lower ball joints were diagnosed as the problem being quite
loose.
Having some familiarity with this type of a diagnosis I am usually skeptical.
Not saying that in this particular case they weren't bad but there is more to
the story.

Chrysler uses compression ball joints which are vastly superior and safer to
competitive tension ball joints. The problem usually results in alignment
shops not realizing that with the load off of the front end they can appear quite
loose when in reality they are still just fine.  We had some classic stories
in the suspension lab at Chrysler.  Almost 40 years ago our chief engineer for
Chassis was on a trip and he went into a tire and alignment shop somewhere out
west. I think he only wanted something minor fixed or checked and he was told
his ball joints were shot. He acted ignorant to have the mechanic demonstrate
the looseness.  He then proceeded to identify himself and proceed to rip into
the mechanic for either ignorance or lack of ethics and then lecture the
mechanic on ball joint robustness.  We had a good laugh on that.

When I was but a lad I remember my father attempting to get his 58 Chrysler
aligned at a Firestone tire store in 1960 only to be told it could not be
aligned due to bad ball joints. "Get it down" my dad told him and he went to the
Chrysler dealer and had it aligned properly.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: