RE: [Chrysler300] putting a car on ebay

I know little about putting a car, a Chrysler 300, on ebay, but can give a
few clues as to what scares, PUTS OFF, would be buyers - this just after
this week when I just DID NOT buy a 58 Cadillac Limo on ebay, that I won,
this the first time since age 14 that I have ever NOT completed buying a car
I agreed to.
So if you want to attract buyers and then have them complete, here are my
few clues/hints - others no doubt can add to this, or rebutt, if they feel
appropriate.

1) if car has clear title, seeing a VIN number is good, but other US 300
owners may give reasons not to include a vin, but as a buyer, you know it
seemingly is a real car if it's vin is listed?!
2) do not just put up a few (4-6) photos - put up enough photos (10-15 if
car is not a real low buck pile of rust) that show all exterior detail of
car, plus few of interior, PLUS engine bay, trunk, and most highly
recommended (if car not rusty) also is shots of underneath the car,
especially around rear, the fuel tank, etc..
3) be honest, but maybe not too brutally honest - mention good points, and
say 2-3 worst points, and if say a paint or panel/rust issue, include shots
of what talking about. And if car is known to experts, Club, mention that if
they will confirm/know it. Do not talk the car down, let the photos do most
of the showing/explaining - and no car is likely perfect, so do not be too
negative needlessly.
4) if you think it good, say it is up to bidders finally to decide the car's
condition for themselves before auction ends, that all information given in
good faith, BUT DO NOT INCLUDE ANY DISCLAIMER that says in effect 'whatever
I say matters not a hill of beans after the auction because then it is yours
and no matter what said or the condition it is in, you are stuck with it.'
!!!?

My opinion is you do not want to waste time answering (basic/needed)
questions from many who may not bid once they have more detail that it
required your time answering their questions - so state what you think fair
up front, and if that puts them off, at least you sorted them out more
quickly. Likewise good photos sort bidders out.

I backed out of my purchase because the seller after a week still refused to
provide any VIN, instead of paypal now asked I send a Money Order (which
Ebay warns you never should do on a vehicle purchase), refused to list what
I got with a car he never showed the engine bay of, and when I asked he
confirm that the vehicle (re no bad rust) was as he responded in pre auction
end questions, he now said all that was irrelevant, as his listing included
a disclaimer.

Other 300 Members in the US may relate/know other 'near bad death car
purchases', but I decided with the car up in Washington, a likely bad rust
area even if he said car never used there, it was not worth the potential
grief - too many red flag warnings.

It is the first ebay purchase in near 200 I have not completed, and I do not
mind getting ripped off occassionally for the odd below $100 items, but to
buy a resto car that would owe near 10K to just then find out it maybe total
junk/rust framewise/inner rockers etc, it just too risky, even if it looked
bloody great in photos/listing.  He may have been genuine, but the other
thing that scared me was he suddenly seemed to know nothing about condition
of the car which he said he had owned and worked on for 2 years, said he
would have to look at it to find out - excuse me, how did he write his
detailed listing description - so what I would suggest is really look at any
car before listing, make notes, and have them with you during the auction,
so you know, can tell, would be bidders ?!

So hopefully this helps any would be 300/other ebay sellers - this just the
view of one who has as an 'owner/user enjoyer', not a reseller, bought over
100 collector/sports cars 'off ebay' over 30 years, and is now perhaps a bit
wary that many may use ebay to sell/unload a car that may not sell as
easily/well if 'looked at in the flesh' before handing over any committment
to buy?!  Obviously there are real bargain/genuine cars out there on ebay,
and I have seen some of them arrive here in Australia, but are they the
lucky ones, or really common on ebay?!

enough once more from Australia - lucky you guys seem pretty quiet over
there on the Club site lately since Lawton - you all talked out, your 300s
all parked with no dramas, or still just too excited/happy?!
Good luck to you all whatever - Christmas now only (8 ?!) weeks away, and my
300Cs still needing some varying amounts of more time and money, plus news
that the nice rust free ex CA 300D that just landed this month from US was
purchased that arrival day by an already 300D owning aussie who traded in
his not so rust free 300D. All pre 300F 300s in Australia pretty rare, still
maybe only 3-5 of each year '55-58 here, with 59 real rare.
Christopher

Research and compare new cars side by side at carpoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F833884&_t=54321&_r=hotmail_endtext&_m=EXT

Yahoo! Groups Links