RE: [Chrysler300] There is nothing easy about a 1957 Chrysler

RE: [Chrysler300] There is nothing easy about a 1957 Chrysler

'There is notghing eazy about 1957 Chryslers' sounds sort of like a possible
song title 'there ain't nothing like a dame', but I don't think that song
title would ever catch on!!??   All jokes aside I was about to reply there
are LOTS of easy things on '57 300Cs until I remember some of the 'not so
300C easys' - such as trying to get OFF the push on little clips/securings
that hold the trunk mounted chrome diecast rear numberplate surround on
every 300C - 'proper little bastards' for something somebody at the factory
just spent simple seconds pushing on !!?? On one of my 300s, there were
little nuts - so much easier.
And then the one every early 300 owner 'confronts' - removing the rear brake
drums to do brake cylinders !!??   Ah yes there is a special puller, but try
buying one of those 5 legged suckers here in OZ.  No doubt you find them
right next to the special socket/toooll you use to undo/remove the front
ball joints !!!

But hey - just step back and look at your 300C, or most any 'cantankerous
sometimes to work on' early 300s  --- and that is before you stick your boot
into the throttle on a good hard fast dirt road with a few sweeping high
speed bends!!
Maybe all ain't so easy, but there are rewards!!!??

Drove a 64 Cad Eldo convert a few times the last few days - bodies on 57-58
300s may not be bank vaults, but boy did Caddy go to the dogs re 'shake
rattle and roll' with their 63-64 open cars versus their earlier ones -
surely Chryslers in the same period would run rings round this not so
'Standard of the World' GM 63-64 offerings? This Eldo/car was a jellyfish
once a few patched bits in the bitumen, stuff my 300Cs would just laugh at.

Enough hot sspring evening ramblings from Australia where I just was
interstate and visited a couple of brothers I know who import a few Mopars -
they had some mint bodied 'stuffed original factory paint' rippers just
arrived - 2 '59 Sport Furys (2dr and Conv), a mint/lipstick green 2 dr
Saratoga, 2dr fully loaded Desoto Firesweep where diecast was like new - all
zero rust in floors and rockers.  And the 'zero rust' ex CA 300D I
went/wanted to see was still sitting on the dock just 3kms away due to
Quarantine guy signing wrong line of needed release form - drat!!  You guys
in the US have seemingly so much more choice re which actual car of what
sought model to buy - that must make it so much '300easier' !?
And/but we are so backward here - I hear a rumour some of us are still using
diesel generators for power, but then at least maybe he/they/George have
trained the koalas to refill the fuel tank, even if he/they/George haven't
trained the roos yet to pull the plough smoothly?!

Chistopher

>From: "NANCY TERRY" <nterry2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: robkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] There is nothing easy about a 1957 Chrysler
>Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 03:40:43 +0000
>
>Gosh Rob, after that description, sure hope John Characky puts decent ones
>on my C during the restoration.
>The meet was wonderful.  Thank you and family for all of the hard work.
>Nancy Terry in rainy(thank heavens!) San Antonio
>

> >From: "rob kern" <robkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >Subject: [Chrysler300] There is nothing easy about a 1957 Chrysler
> >Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:45:55 -0500
> >
> >Hello 300'ly to all!
> >     You've gotta love it is all I can say. I was thrilled to be able to
> >replace the ignition switch with a NOS one in 20 minutes on a beautiful
> >autumn Sunday afternoon this past weekend.  Then I went to replace the
> >quarter window verticle weatherstripping. For the sake of 3/16 inch of
> >clearance for the set screw at the bottom of the chrome surround for the
> >of the weatherstripping to be secured, the rear seat and armrests and
> >quarter panel interior pieces were removed thinking that access could be
> >gained from inside the fender wells to remove the screw on each window.
>No
> >such case. So the family room now has all these pieces laid out in
>storage
> >while Mopsy is in the body shop with the quarter windows removed to
>replace
> >the rubber pieces correctly! So much for me being a Sunday shade tree
> >mechanic. There is nothing that appears to be an easy fix for a 1957
> >Chrysler. Still loving it and forwardlooking to tomorrow after office
>hours
> >putting the interior back together.  ROB KERN

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>For list server instructions, go to
>http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
>
>For archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/