[Chrysler300] roller tappets & early steering boxes

[Chrysler300] roller tappets & early steering boxes

1) In earlier days I had a mid 20s 7th Series Lancia Lambda that began as a
Model Series after the First World War that had as standard roller cam
followers as part of their alloy block V4 OHC motor.  They also had
independent front suspension and are credited with being the first car to
use the body as the chassis, as did Chrysler in 1960. (If you released the
coiled frong springs without proper tool, they could take your head off, and
they did so to quite a few people)
Others likely will know of earlier roller ones - maybe Vauxhall in early
1900s?

2) Rich Barber's power steering woes sound like the problem I found about 6
years ago re difficulty finding anyone in the US with the needed top oil
seal that goes in the lower half of the two parts of pre 1958 power steering
boxes is no better.  And re oil leaking out of the top of the top half part
of the box when re-installing the whole thing back in the car, is avoided if
one puts the oil in the top after installing in the car - however this must
be done from memory before bolting column shaft etc on, as you cannot add it
after that.

A way around the non available seal is as a last resort use a hydraulic ram
seal, however the only one my rebuild shop could find as a near match
required machining a little out of the alloy seal holder piece that sits
atop the lower half of the box that the seal fits in.
Mine has not leaked yet, but beware if trying this, as (seemingly?!) these
ram seals are made for way higher pressures, and my rebuilder was not sure
if it would not leak when little pressure on it.  If later on, the non
available seal becomes available, you would need another alloy holder piece
from another box to go back to original if you wished to avoid getting the
one you machined out back to it's smaller original inner size.  Otherwise
your 300 box is in no way altered permanently or re how operates.

Others in US may know a better way round this 'non available seal' problem -
after 6 months wait 6 yrs ago JC could not find/supply the seal, which
seemingly is the only part that needs attention, unless you are unlucky.
After rebuilding the box, you may need to 'centre' where the box returns to,
and this is done down through the top with the column off, and you need like
a long thin screwdriver, but it is a blade like part sticks up from the box,
so you need an internally slotted end that will go over this blade so you
can turn it left or right as/if needed.

Chrysler changed to a simpler box in 1958, so owners of 58 on need not
worry, and I think parts/kits for these are still easily available, plus
most shops know how to rebuild these.

Christopher in Oz

Yahoo! Groups Links